Re: Interaction Context

Hi Andrew

Thanks for posting this.
The first part I follow... and agree with
But I'm having trouble with the part where you jump to assuming the reverse of what you demonstrate in the first part.

Here is what I see

Your reasoning at the beginning is accurate--- that WCAG  does allow AT support.

It is also true that some people prefer that a number of the provisions be met directly.   But other than the one provision that specifically states that it cannot be met by AT,  there is nothing in the other WCAG wording to say that it cannot.  And, (as you cite), there are many places where we specifically say that we can.

The fact that someone prefers it to be met one way or another has nothing to do with conformance.   Only what is required is required for conformance.   There are a number of places where there are several sufficient techniques, and one them is preferred.  But you can conform with the other techniques too.

You mentioned
> However, it is clear that the WG doesn’t want anyone to claim compliance based on reliance on AT alone.

Where did you get this from?    This is news to me (and Loretta too).
You cite using headings to skip over repeated blocks.  And say that WCAG WG doesn’t want authors to use HTML headings.
But if you look  at the sufficient techniques for this success criterion , you will see that using headings is cited specifically as a working group recognized sufficient technique for this SC

2. Grouping blocks of repeated material in a way that can be skipped, using one of the following techniques:
H69: Providing heading elements at the beginning of each section of content (HTML)

So clearly the WG DOES say this is OK.

Can you clarify?

How did you conclude that it doesn’t?

Did I miss something?