Re: Looking at SC 3.2.3 Consistent Navigation with "UI Context"

On Jul 13, 2012, at 7:41 PM, Peter Korn wrote:

> Hi Gregg,
>
> PK: OK, so we focus now on the consistent navigation part.  My understanding is that a single User Interface Context can include multiple, non-modal windows.

GV: yep
(PS this is a very useful way to do this)

> Thus if I have two windows in my UIC, and both of them contain navigation buttons (e.g. "Next" & "Previous"), and they were in different orders, they would not be in violation of this SC (with UIC).

GV:  Not at that moment.  (This is what I call an extreme example that is unlikely and is constructed to test something -- but OK -- for the moment it would pass)    But when you open the window on another document tomorrow it would be a new UI Context because the information would  be different.  And at that point you would be in conflict with either instance one or instance two.

> However, if instead we used language from the consensus text for 2.4.2 Page Titled and tied this to "top-most explicit groupings of user interface components (things like "windows", "dialog boxes", "frames", and "screens")", then our pair of windows with the inconsistent relative order of "Next" and "Previous" WOULD be a violation of the SC.

GV:  already covered as above without using this long and indeterminate language.   I understand it but I think it would lose many people.  And one can probably come up with many ambiguous examples here.   But the real point is - why use a long text string with embedded example list (not a good idea in standards) when you have a simpler concept and term that can be used?

> First question to Gregg: do you agree with my reading of the definition of UIC, and my application of it to this SC & this situation?

GV:  No.   You did find a way to temporarily conform with a not nice example.  But I don't think you fully understood UI Context.  We have added a note to make it clearer.   But your example fails with both UI context and your longer text.

> Second question: which outcome do you think we want?  Should the "Next" | "Prev" in showing non-modal window A while "Prev" | "Next" showing in non-modal window B be allowed or not?

GV:  clearly not -- and it isn't with either.

This one is trickier than usual  (the whole UI Context - or any of our terms/concepts --  and software) because windows are used both for palettes - and navigation is the same for both.   But with repeated use - everything falls out and works.