RE: Looking at SC 2.4.3 Focus Order with "UI Context"

Could be my own minimal mental absorption of the UIC definition, but, navigating within a window is one thing, but navigation within other windows within the same application could cause confusion with this-e.g. is one window sequentially related to the other.  I can accept your point about the if statement however, e.g, is "effects meaning" more clearly defined in the understanding document.

From: Michael Pluke [mailto:Mike.Pluke@castle-consult.com]
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2012 9:08 AM
To: Hoffman, Allen; Peter Korn; public-wcag2ict-tf@w3.org
Subject: RE: Looking at SC 2.4.3 Focus Order with "UI Context"

Hi Peter and Allen

Maybe I am missing the problem here?

Firstly the SC starts with "If ..". So in case where the user interface elements or information cannot be navigated sequentially the SC does not apply.

I am a little unclear what you (Peter) are actually concerned about being navigated sequentially, as you refer to "set of windows' content" which doesn't appear anywhere in the SC as it appears in WCAG, neither does this phrase appear in the UI context definition? Leaving that uncertainty aside, the SC is only applicable where navigation sequences affect meaning or operation - which significantly reduces the size of the set of software use cases where it might apply.

If the "if" and "and" clauses of the SC apply (which very frequently they will not in many parts of a software UI), then it makes sense that the navigation sequence within a UI context should be such that it "preserves meaning and operability". So I really do not see exactly what is the problem?

Best regards

Mike