Re: Looking at SC 3.2.4 Consistent Identification with "UI Context"

On Jul 13, 2012, at 2:48 AM, Peter Korn wrote:

> Hi gang,
>
> SC 3.2.4 Consistent Identification was one we reached consensus on.  However, I thought it would be useful to look at it with the new UI Context definition, to help evaluate that definition and where we might use it.  My thoughts on this can be found at the Applying UI Context page in the eighth row, but to facilitate discussion, I reiterate them here.
>
> As this SC ONLY includes "set of web pages", my construction is based on Proposal #2 of 3.2.3.  Looking only at software, and doing a direct definition substitution for "set of web pages"as per proposal #2 of 3.2.3, with the existing SC text, we get:
> Components that have the same functionality within a [software program] are identified consistently.
> This seems very similar to our consensus text, with the drawback that it requires that we define software program (which is being separately discussed in another e-mail thread).  I think "software user interface" is better here, and so the "UI Context" discussion really wouldn't impact this SC.

GV:  Hi Peter.      I guess you would have to define 'software user interface' if you wanted to use it.    Right now it looks like there is no bound on software user interface which would mean that you have to use the same 'identifications" (labels) as the platform (and other programs that are on the platform and open at the same time so are part of the overall software user interface exposed to the person?     Or I guess we could say that we mean "only the software user interface for the software program" - but then you have to define software program.  No?  Not sure how "software user interface" is any less ambiguous than "software program"  -- in fact I may be less.   I think using  UI Context here (which is limited to a product) would be much better here and solve the problems above.

oh this is one we reached consensus on.   How about we leave this alone til we get the other ones done.