Re: User Interface Context

Two items here needing your input

1) definition of PRODUCT

2) Better title for UIC definition

On Jul 12, 2012, at 6:11 PM, Bailey, Bruce wrote:

> I think I am comfortable with:
>> User Interface Context == set of user interface elements and the presented information that can be accessed using only navigation commands
>
> I can also appreciate that "product" was meant as an example of a "set of User Interface Contexts" rather than as a definition.
>
> But that still leaves:
>> User Interface Context (by one author) == set of user interface elements and the presented information, within a product, that can be accessed using only navigation commands
>
> That if it is not circular, it is at least ambiguous without a definition of "product" (that does not use our new UIC term).

Agree.    Andi has wanted one for some time that differentiated it from "Commercial product"  or  she wanted another word -- but we haven't been able to find one

Let me fly one for us to pick at and improve.

Product
A deliverable or set of deliverables.  Products can be 'commercial products' or they can be the result of any external or internal development activity.

>  I am not clear why we need to define "User Interface Context (by one author)".  Where do we use that phrase?

That is a technique used in WCAG.  What it means is

We are defining "user interface context" as it is used in this document where we mean it to be a "user interface context by one author"

But we can say that any way we want

we could just say

1) User Interface Context (as used in this document)
but then people might drop the parenthetical and still argue with us that a user interface context would include more.

Of course we could say
2) User Interface Context (as used in this document where we mean a UIC from a single author/group)

or maybe.....
3) User Interface Context (for a single product)

or

4) User Interface Context (as used in this document where we mean UIC for a single product)

 Any preferences?