RE: User Interface Context

I agree with you Bruce, but UI context is a great more widely scoped term in my view.  We just need to get that definition correct.  I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around the proposed definition.  As someone who will have to teach it it has to be teachable.

From: Bailey, Bruce [mailto:Bailey@Access-Board.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 8:53 PM
To: public-wcag2ict-tf@w3.org
Subject: RE: User Interface Context

I am still in favor of trying to use a somewhat longer phrase (where the individual words have their common meaning) rather define a new term.  Something like "within the context of the user interface" instead of "on a web page".

I would also point that the proposed new definition starts off with "set of..." and it is being proposed that "user interface contexts" can be straight substitute for "web pages".  But we have a few criteria that refer to "within a set of Web pages" that expands to a set of a set!  While that may be mathematically okay, I think it is a mess semantically.

As an example, here is 3.2.3 using the proposed new term:
Navigational mechanisms that are repeated on multiple User Interface Contexts within a set of User Interface Contexts occur in the same relative order each time they are repeated, unless a change is initiated by the user.
Follows 3.2.3 using the same words but avoiding the new term per se:
Navigational mechanisms that are repeated in the user interface within the context of a set of user interfaces occur in the same relative order each time they are repeated, unless a change is initiated by the user.

Follows is success criterion 3.2.3 with the proposed definition for "User Interface Contexts" substituted for "Web pages":

Navigational mechanisms that are repeated on multiple sets of user interface elements and the presented information within a product that are available to a user at any point in time, where the sets are limited to only those that can be reached using navigation commands within the product, and without using any activation commands within a set of sets of user interface elements and the presented information within a product that are available to a user at any point in time, where the sets are limited to only those that can be reached using navigation commands within the product, and without using any activation commands occur in the same relative order each time they are repeated, unless a change is initiated by the user.

In short, unless we look at the results of the SC with the definition substituted in, I think we are likely to overlook problems with inventing a new term.