RE: ACTION-23 - WCAG response to request to modify intent for 1.3.1 Info and Relationships

Post to survey please.

From: Crowell, Pierce [mailto:Pierce.Crowell@ssa.gov]
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2012 5:27 PM
To: 'public-wcag2ict-tf@w3.org'
Subject: RE: ACTION-23 - WCAG response to request to modify intent for 1.3.1 Info and Relationships

While that helps, it is the placement that is the issue.  I can live with it, but I made one slight edit for reading relief (removed “ITEMS THAT SHARE A COMMON CHARACTERISTIC ARE ORGANIZED INTO A” and changed a couple other words).

Should we post this to the survey or just discuss at tomorrow’s meeting (Note: I may not be able to attend)?

Pierce

Sighted users perceive structure AND RELATIONSHIPS through various visual cues — headings are often in a larger, bold font separated from paragraphs by blank lines; list items are preceded by a bullet and perhaps indented; paragraphs are separated by a blank line; form fields may be positioned as groups that share text labels; a different background color may be used to indicate that several items are related to each other; words that have special status are indicated by changing the font family and /or bolding, italicizing, or underlining them; TABLES ORGANIZE ITEMS WITH ROWS AND COLUMNS WHERE THE RELATIONSHIP OF CELLS SHARING THE SAME ROW OR COLUMN AND THE RELATIONSHIP OF EACH CELL TO ITS ROW AND/OR COLUMN HEADER ARE NECESSARY FOR COMPREHENSION; and so on. Having these structures and relationships programmatically determined or available in text ensures that information important for comprehension will be perceivable by all.