From: Peter Korn <peter.korn@oracle.com>
To: "public-wcag2ict-tf@w3.org" <public-wcag2ict-tf@w3.org>,
Date: 12/11/2012 09:32 PM
Subject: Did we miss a substitution in the Note for 1.4.2?

Hi gang,

Looking at our latest working draft, at
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2012/WD-wcag2ict-20121126/#visual-audio-contrast-dis-audio

 I noticed that we appear to have missed a few "web page" substitutions in
the Note.

Here's our additional guidance for 1.4.2:

      This applies directly as written, and as described in INTENT from
      Understanding WCAG 2.0 (above) replacing “on a Web page” with “in a
      non-web document or software ” and “any content” with “any part of a
      non-web document or software”.

      With these substitutions, it would read:

            1.4.2 Audio Control: If any audio in a non-web document or
            software plays automatically for more than 3 seconds, either a
            mechanism is available to pause or stop the audio, or a
            mechanism is available to control audio volume independently
            from the overall system volume level. (Level A)

            Note: Since any part of a non-web document or software that
            does not meet this success criterion can interfere with a
            user's ability to use the whole page, all content on the Web
            page (whether or not it is used to meet other success criteria)
            must meet this success criterion. See Conformance Requirement
            5: Non-Interference.

I noticed this while doing a compare with the 5Dec12 M376 EN, which states
for 1.4.2 for software:

      1.4.2 Audio Control: If any audio in software plays automatically for
      more than 3 seconds, either a mechanism is available to pause or stop
      the audio, or a mechanism is available to control audio volume
      independently from the overall system volume level. (Level A)

      Since any content that does not meet this success criterion can
      interfere with a user's ability to use the software application, all
      content in the software (whether or not it is used to meet other
      success criteria) must meet this success criterion. See WCAG 2.0
      Conformance Requirement 5: Non-Interference.

I think we need to spell out further substitutions.  To wit:

      This applies directly as written, and as described in INTENT from
      Understanding WCAG 2.0 (above) replacing “on a Web page” with “in a
      non-web document or software ”, "whole page" with "whole document or
      software", "on the Web page" with "in the document or software" and
      “any content” with “any part of a non-web document or software”.

      With these substitutions, it would read:

            1.4.2 Audio Control: If any audio in a non-web document or
            software plays automatically for more than 3 seconds, either a
            mechanism is available to pause or stop the audio, or a
            mechanism is available to control audio volume independently
            from the overall system volume level. (Level A)

            Note: Since any part of a non-web document or software that
            does not meet this success criterion can interfere with a
            user's ability to use the whole document or software, all
            content in the document or software (whether or not it is used
            to meet other success criteria) must meet this success
            criterion. See Conformance Requirement 5: Non-Interference.

We could also go with the M376 language, and start our Note with "Since any
content that does not meet..." as they do, but we'd have a more complex
substitution to describe in prose that way.

Is this something we can address (and resolve) in e-mail NOW?  Or perhaps
as part of the WCAG WG meeting on Thursday?

Sorry I didn't notice it earlier...

Peter
--
Oracle