Re: RE: SC 2.4.6 wording

On 2/24/07, Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Loretta,
>

> > Given that CSS may render blocks on the page in a different order from
> > the content order, I agree that we don't want to require that the tab
> > order be the content order.
>
> CSS would need to be in the baseline, but I still think that should be
> a failure; if someone uses their own style sheet, the natural tab
> order will be out of sequence if CSS has been used by the developers
> to rearrange content. I don't understand the issues with with
> technologies, such as PDF, so don't have suggestions for the wording.

The PDF issue is that there isn't really the same concept of content
order in PDF as there is in markup languages, since the instructions
for rendering the content on the page are separate from the structure
information about the content. I think the issues are similar with
respect to this success criterion. We just find ourselves struggling
to find suitable language to describe them.

> > although I'm not sure there is a reliable way to distinguish
> > two independent columns from two columns, one of which is the
> > continuation of the first, without actually understanding the content.
>
> Is there a situation where a column is a continuation of another
> column that is understandable when the continued column isn't
> processed in its entirety? At best, I can only see that situation
> arising with a new column on a new row, in which case it wouldn't be a
> continuation, but I suspect I'm spectacularly missing the point.

I think if one column is the logical continuation of another, we need
the tab order to reflect that.  I think that I was thinking of machine
testing when I made my comments above, but any human testing of
content should be able to distinguish this situation from two
independent columns of text.