From: Sofia Celic <Sofia.Celic@visionaustralia.org>
Date: Feb 11, 2007 9:03 PM
Subject: RE: WCAG question for you
To: Loretta Guarino Reid <lorettaguarino@google.com>

Hi Loretta,

The situation where decreasing font size is important is for people with
a narrow field of vision (such as with Retinitis Pigmentosa:
http://www.visionaustralia.org.au/info.aspx?page=607 and
http://www.ushernet.org/en/ushersyndrome/study/retinitispigmentosa.html)
. These users want to be able to fit in as much information as possible
within their field of vision.

Some web pages have font size specifications that are problematic when
the size is reduced. This is noted with Internet Explorer and is
typically due to inheritance problems. When the size is changed to
"smaller" or "smallest" via IE's 'view > text size' feature, the text
can become unreadable. (With this implementation an exaggerated increase
is observed when the larger font sizes are chosen too)

Hi Loretta,

Yes, I think the new SC needs to specify the scaling down percentage
since it is possible to scale up successfully and not down.

For example, providing a manual link to an alternative CSS could be an
implementation that is deemed sufficient to satisfy the SC. The
alternative CSS may only be a fixed unit size that is twice that of the
default version.
With this implementation the site could satisfy the 200% criterion but
not allow for reducing the font size.

The implementation described above would require another alternative CSS
that has a fixed unit size that is half that of the default version to
aid the users requiring a smaller font size. This requirement is not
specified by the current wording.

I hope the above illustrates the situation satisfactorily.

With thanks,
Sofia

Thanks, Sofia. Do you think we should modify the new SC so that it
specifies scaling down to some percent (50%?) as well as up to 200%?
If a page can scale up successfully, will it also scale down, so that
we don't have to complicate the SC but can still get the benefit?

Thanks, Loretta

On 2/11/07, Sofia Celic <Sofia.Celic@visionaustralia.org> wrote:

> Hi Loretta,
>
> The situation where decreasing font size is important is for people
with
> a narrow field of vision (such as with Retinitis Pigmentosa:
> http://www.visionaustralia.org.au/info.aspx?page=607 and

http://www.ushernet.org/en/ushersyndrome/study/retinitispigmentosa.html)
> . These users want to be able to fit in as much information as
possible
> within their field of vision.
>
> Some web pages have font size specifications that are problematic when
> the size is reduced. This is noted with Internet Explorer and is
> typically due to inheritance problems. When the size is changed to
> "smaller" or "smallest" via IE's 'view > text size' feature, the text
> can become unreadable. (With this implementation an exaggerated
increase
> is observed when the larger font sizes are chosen too)
>
> Best regards,
> Sofia
>
> ____________________________
>
> Dr Sofia Celic
> Assistant Manager Online Accessibility
> & Senior Web Accessibility Consultant
> Vision Australia - Accessible Information Solutions
> 454 Glenferrie Road
> Kooyong, Victoria, 3144
> P: +61 (0)3 9864 9284
> F: +61 (0)3 9864 9370
> E-mail: Sofia.Celic@visionaustralia.org.au
> www.visionaustralia.org.au

<< ella for Spam Control >> has removed 487 Spam messages and set aside
192 Later for me
You can use it too - and it's FREE!  www.ellaforspam.com