Re: descriptive titles

Some definitions of "describe", from [1]:

1. to tell or depict in written or spoken words; give an account of: He
described the accident very carefully.
2. to pronounce, as by a designating term, phrase, or the like; label:
There are few people who may be described as geniuses.
3. to indicate; be a sign of; denote: Conceit, in many cases, describes a
state of serious emotional insecurity.
4. to represent or delineate by a picture or figure.
5. Geometry. to draw or trace the outline of: to describe an arc.

Hopefully this will stimulate some thought on definitions of "description"
that might be objectively measurable(???), or have we given up on using
"description"?

Thanks and best wishes
Tim Boland NIST

[1]: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=describe&x=17&y=16