Fw: descriptive titles

I have title attributes on the brain having recently compiled the review of comments relating to the use of title in links!

Agreed, 2.4.3 is about elements, not attributes.  WCAG 2.0 uses the term “title” in many places.  I almost wish we had used a more neutral term like “handle” that had less HTML prejudice associated with it.  As John observes, it the difference between elements and attributes does not impact my other comments.  Further, I should have written:

The html specification is well understood to require that title values be meaningful

I too am comfortable that the differentiation and characterization are human, but not machine, testable.  We have Level 1 criteria, notably the sufficiency of text alternatives, that have the same aspect.

John’s reply to me was obviously meant for the list.