Re: Assisgment 3.2 L1 SC1

Hi Gregg,

Firstly, I agree with your proposal to remove L1SC1from 3.2.

On 13/09/05, Gregg Vanderheiden <gv@trace.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Change of context should not be confused with change of content. Small
> changes in content, such as an expanding outline, do not change the context

I also agree that a change of content is different from the current
definition of change of context. This is relevant to my success
criteria (When any component receives focus, it does not cause a
change of context), where focus given to a menu item may cause a
sub-menu to be displayed. That's obviously a good thing, and shouldn't
violate this success criteria.

I do have concerns about change of content with remote scripting
techniques (which seems to be the new black), as that can cause
accessibility problems. This is more relevant for L2SC3: Changing the
setting of any input field does not automatically cause a change of
context. If a change of content isn't the same as a change of context
in this instance, then we're saying that it's okay to dynamically
update portions of a page in a way that could be missed by some
assistive technologies. I wonder if it would be worth adding another
success criteria (possibly level 3) that deals with changes made using
remote scripting, as I can't see anywhere else in the guidelines that
covers this?

Best regards,

Gez

--