Re: Mobile Call - copyright

  Hi Simon & all,

Comments below.

On 3/28/2012 4:43 AM, Simon Harper wrote:
> maybe I can help out with point #2 - this is for 2 reasons - firstly because the hyperlink provides the full text for the copyright policy and secondly because in Shawn's work she says about that sentence - that the wording doesn't seem / can't be right. In reality anyone can quote text as long as it is referenced - this text says that the text can be included in a derived work as though it is the work of the derivee; I agree with Shawn 'this can't be right'.

To clarify -- I actually meant that the entire paragraph didn't seem right, not just that sentence. In particular, the phrase "under a <acronym title="Berkley Shell Distribution">BSD</acronym> License or one with more restrictive terms" surprised me.

On 3/28/2012 5:14 AM, Shadi Abou-Zahra wrote:

> This is not my area of expertise. This text was suggested by our W3C legal adviser so we should probably look at it in more detail. Again, what I understood is that the WG Note may include conclusions or draw concepts from the contributions, which in turn could be considered as derivative work. It is not about referencing the resources but really interpreting or reusing the work in some form. If we do not have this sentence then I think we will need to be really careful that none of the statements we make can be interpreted to be derivative work

Since the text was suggested by W3C legal adviser, I suggest we don't mess with it! Let's just use it as is and spend our time elsewhere, as long as there are no objections to it (which there weren't for the previous Symposium, as far as I know).

Regards,
~Shawn