Re: RDIG June 9 Telecon Summary

First my apologies - I have been battling a couple of major problems
today and couldn't make the call.

On Monday, Jun 23, 2003, at 17:55 Europe/Zurich, Markku T. Hakkinen
wrote:

> Agenda:
>
> 1. Increase Participation in planning calls
> 2. Completing the Proceedings from the first event
> 3. Planning for next event

> How do we increase participation in planning calls?
>
> Planning for more events ahead of time. Pages to gather links and
> materials.
> Start discussions about those.
>
> Phoning in during the evening is an issue for European participants. We
> should try to schedule calls to allow more european participation.
>
> We need more specific info about how to contribute to the planning
> group.
> One example, or template, may be:
> http://www.w3.org/2003/Talks/0523-www-wac/slide6-0.html
>
> Give more ideas of how people could get involved.
>
> We need to try to make more BOF kinds of events and include some RDIG
> slides
> when doing presentations.
>
> actions Mark: publish RDIG info slides for others to use
>
> How to get more participants from Asia? People have been interested,
> doing
> more outreach to get more interest, still many do not appear in calls.
> We
> need to do more outreach and encourage participation.

This is hard - there is a time zone barrier and a language barrier, and
quite often something of a cultural divide as well. One thing that
would be interesting is to ask people working in Asia (and in asian
languages) to give something of an overview of work they are aware of,
and perhaps ask them to encourage particular individuals to talk about
their work.

There is a lot of good stuff being done in languages other than
english, but people assume that the first place for development is
always english, so don't look, or don't think they have something new
to show.

> Marja could start Web3D, visualization and using Semantic Web Topic
> pages if
> suitable?
> Home page "topics" links to topic pages.
>
> action marja: take a stab at creating a topic page for one of the
> topics
> interested in. use and comment on template.
>
> agendum 2. "completing proceedings from previous event" taken up [from
> wendy]
>
> Current components of the proceedings are:
> draft themes http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/2003/04/28-themes.html
> captions http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/2003/04/28-captions.html]
>
> w3c possible status would be: note or WD. personally WAC prefers
> something
> in /WAI/RD/ space that does not have official w3c status.

Chaals does too.