Lack of feedback to 'open call' for WCAG-EM evaluation

Hi Eric, hi all

As to 0 participants of the 'open call' so far, I have not seen this well advertised in the usual channels (LinkedIn, Webaim Mailing list, W3C general mailing list, epractice.eu, WAI Twitter account, WAI web site etc.). So it is little surprise there has been no uptake so far.

Also, I don"t think the title page of the survey is very inviting or clear or gives enough context for people out there to take the plunge. It does not clearly spell out that the accessibility community at large is warmly invited to evaluate the Methodology. The 'you' in the sentence "In this survey, we ask you to completely evaluate a website using the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Evaluation Methodology (WCAG-EM 1.0 Public Working Draft)" needs to be put in context.

A headline like

"Open call to the accessibility practitioners to evaluate W3C's new WCAG Evaluation Methodology"

on a slightly more attractive page might help, followed by a brief explanation of the background of WCAG-EM and aim of the task so people out there will feel welome. It would be important to state that any feedback from use is welcome even if people"s input falls short of conducting an entire evaluation. The way it stands, this looks like an obscure niche activity not meant to concern the (accessibility) public at large. This may save WAI, the TF and WAI-ACT some trouble and work, but it would be a real shame to miss this opportunity.

I urge WAI, W3C, and WAI-ACT to launch a proper dissemination of this important task.

Best,
Detlev

--
Detlev Fischer
testkreis - das Accessibility-Team von feld.wald.wiese

Tel   +49 (0)40 439 10 68-3
Mobil +49 (0)1577 170 73 84
Fax   +49 (0)40 439 10 68-5

http://www.testkreis.de
Beratung, Tests und Schulungen für barrierefreie Websites