Re: uses cases for evaluation (and reporting) (was Re: Step 1.b Goal of the Evaluation - Design support evaluation vs. conformance evaluation?)

Hi Peter, all,

In short, here is what I understood in conclusion of this exchange:

- Possibly there is a 4th use-case (regression evaluation)
- Further tweaks to "confirmation evaluation" might be necessary
- Probably further lighter edits and tweaks needed throughout too

More detailed comments inline below (all for discussion, of course):

On 14.6.2013 19:05, Peter Korn wrote:
> Hi Shadi,
>
> Thank you for moving this discussion forward.  More comments in-line below.

>> We discussed these three use cases. Here is an attempted write-up for these
>> use cases, for discussion:
>>

>> - Initial Evaluation: Typically carried out when organizations first start out
>> with accessibility and want to learn about how well their website conforms to
>> WCAG 2.0 in order to improve it. It is expected that the website will likely
>> not conform, and the main purpose of the evaluation is to identify the types
>> of barriers on the website, and possibly to highlight some of the possible
>> repairs, so that these can be addressed in future developments.
>
> For me, I would rather see this as a "Development Evaluation". Something
> undertaken when the site owner (or web application owner) expects things aren't
> fully accessible yet, and is interested in understanding the extent to which
> work will need to be done.  Often (or at least hopefully!) such evaluations will
> be undertaken part-way through the development process, before the
> site/application is generally available and while there is still significant
> time left in the development process to make significant changes (e.g. to
> choices of UI component sets, templates, etc.).
>
> Report output would likely be more technical in such a circumstance I think, and
> detailed lists of bugs with information on how to reproduce them will be of
> significant importance.

Maybe we are talking about two somewhat different use cases here?

I mean an initial evaluation very early on in a (typically redesign)
process. There would certainly be a bug list but the focus is more on
educating the readers of the report on what *type* of issues there are
rather than to list out the individual bugs.

What you are suggesting seems similar to what I describe as "periodic
evaluation", but you are redefining that too. More further below...

>> - Periodic Evaluation: Typically carried out periodically to monitor how well
>> conformance to WCAG 2.0 was maintained, or progress towards conformance to
>> WCAG 2.0 was achieved during a given period. The main purpose of such
>> evaluations is comparability of the results between iterations. In some cases
>> particular areas of the website may have changed, or the entire website may
>> have been redesigned between one evaluation and the next, and evaluators will
>> need to consider these changes during the sampling and reporting stages of the
>> evaluation.
>
> For me, I see this more as "Regression Evaluation".  Something undertaken both
> to monitor how accessibility is improving (or regressing), as well as to measure
> the results of an improvement program.
>
> Report output may be more in summary form, giving a broad measure of the level
> of improvement/regression, and perhaps discussing that by area or type (e.g.
> "image tagging has broadly improved, with only ~5% of images missing ALT text
> vs. ~20% 6 months ago, within our tested sample of pages").
>
> This might also be used by a development organization, (e.g. when a product goes
> through various development stages: alpha, beta, etc.), though I would expect in
> those cases they might simply run another "Development Evaluation", since they
> will still be focused - at least from the reporting point of view - on the
> detailed issues found.  Middle/senior management may prefer a summary.

OK, I think this is a new use case that I have not directly considered.
It is like the "periodic evaluation" with more summaries. I wonder how
this impacts the evaluation process as a whole versus the reporting?

>> - Confirmation Evaluation: Typically carried out to confirm a claim made by
>> the vendor or supplier, where a website is assumed to meet particular
>> conformance targets in relation to WCAG 2.0. The main purpose of such
>> evaluation is to validate a conformance claim with reasonable confidence, or
>> to identify potential mismatches between the conformance claim and the
>> website. Such evaluations are often re-run while the vendor or supplier
>> addresses confirmed issues. The intervals are typically shorter than for
>> Periodic Evaluations and are also more focused towards the issues previously
>> identified.
>
> The title "Confirmation Evaluation" suggests this is evaluation is NOT made by
> the owner of the site/application, which I think is a mistake.  I would hope the
> same steps an owner might take to evaluate the accessibility of their
> site/application is the same as what a customer/user might do (or a consumer
> organization).  Some may use it to confirm a vendor's claim, but others may use
> it to assure themselves that their development organization did what was
> expected, or a gov't agency may seek this from a contractor who did work for
> them (and then do their own mini-spot-check).

OK, we can discuss the title. But I think also the website owner may
want to confirm the claim made by a supplier/vendor.

> Also, I am REALLY UNCOMFORTABLE with the word "conformance claim" in your
> characterization Shadi.  Unless every page of the entire site (and every
> possible UI permutation in a web app) has been thoroughly examined, I don't see
> how an entity can properly make a "conformance claim" for an entire site/ web
> app.  I think instead we need a new word/phrase here, and should be talking
> about confidence levels around the extent to which all WCAG 2.0 SCs (at
> A/AA/AAA) have been met.

Can you be more specific about which parts make you uncomfortable? I
specifically tried to clarify the scope in the very first sentence:

[[
a claim made by the vendor or supplier, where a website is assumed to
meet particular conformance targets in relation to WCAG 2.0
]]

>> I think these now reflect both the timing as well as indicate a little bit
>> more on the typical "depth" of an evaluation. We'll probably also need to
>> explain that there are many variances of these typical cases depending on the
>> website, context, etc. It is a spectrum, really.
>
> Fully agree with this!

OK good.

Thanks,
   Shadi