From: RichardWarren [richard.warren@userite.com]
Sent: Saturday, 18 August 2012 3:28 AM
To: Vivienne CONWAY; Peter Korn; Shadi Abou-Zahra
Cc: Eval TF
Subject: Re: Accessibility Statements (was Re: Comments from Eval TF review)

Dear Vivienne,

I am sorry to be a bit thick here, but I am not sure that I understand what
your are getting at. Are you saying that
1) our evaluation method requires that the owner of the site has a published
accessibility statement (similar to a privacy statement) or
2) are you suggesting that our methodology will provide an accessibility
statement for the owner to publish, or
3) are you saying that our methodology should, if the site fails, issue a
statement of non-conformance  ?

In cases 1 & 2, accessibility statements on the website have no impact upon
the actual accessibility of the site and are therefore not within our remit.
In case 3 (issuing a statement of non-conformance) we cannot (should not)
ask the owner to publish such a statement, nor are we in a position to
stipulate any timescale. Suppose we say ten days - is this ten working days
or ten calendar days?. If working days then a team of ten would complete the
work in one day whilst a part-timer (1 day per week) would take ten weeks!
If calendar days - do we allow for bank holidays etc.?

My understanding is that our methodology is to enable reliable and
consistent reporting of conformance for sites that comply with the agreed
WCAG level (see http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/conformance.html).
As added value for sites that do not comply we could/would identify issues
that fail. But the job of suggestion how, in what priority and in with what
effort is my job as a consultant (for which I am paid!) and only relevant if
I undertake an In-Depth Analysis (3.5.1
http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/conformance/ED-methodology-20120730#step5a ).

Regards

Richard