RE: Scenarios, Tasks, Use Cases, User Profiles/Personas, etc.

I'd like to echo Tim's reference here. I think we should not try to
redefine use case and user scenario but use the definitions that are
defined by UML. We refer to the following definition of a use case in our
testing guidelines:

A use case tells a story about:
How a user uses the system to fulfill some need
Achieving some goal
What the system does to satisfy that goal

Use cases:
Describe the sequence of interactions between actors and the system needed
to deliver the service that satisfies the goal.
Decide what the system will be used for before defining what the system is
supposed to do.

Use cases capture:
who (actor) does what (interaction) with the system
for what purpose (goal), without dealing with system internals

We define a scenario as follows:
Scenarios define different ways of reaching the goal or different flows
through the system. Say for example, a use case is a student registering
for a course. Some different scenarios might be: a successful
registration, unknown student, student quits registration process, student
cannot enroll.

Found the following definition of scenario in this white paper by SHINPEI
OGATA and SAEKO MATSUURA
http://www.wseas.us/e-library/conferences/2010/Cambridge/SEPADS/SEPADS-25.pdf

Scenarios "describe normal, alternative, and exceptional service flows
from the point of view of system usage."

Moe

Maureen Kraft
Accessibility Consultant Test Lead
Human Ability and Accessibility Center