Re: Discussion: Applications

Eric,

As a start, it might be worth noting in introductory text the range of
things being covered by this methodology.  In step 3 on selecting a
representative sample, we might again note that for complex web sites &
for large web applications, there may "Exemplar functions" of a web app
which should definitely included, as distinct from "rarely used
functions" - some of which should be perhaps be included anyway as part
of the sampling process (to not ignore them entirely).

By the way, I thought of what might be a better example to use: a
configuration page/dialog for setting per-instance-overridable defaults
(e.g. whether the default currency is expressed in Dollars vs. Euros vs.
Yen, which can be expressly set each time by the user when they enter
the currency in the spreadsheet web-app).  If that config page/dialog
has an accessibility error (e.g. an unlabeled combo-box), but the
per-instance setting has no error (e.g. the "set currency for this
field" config page/dialog) - then... there is a good argument to be made
that the importance of the accessibility of the default configuration
setting isn't so great.

Ummm.... this raises another question...  In Section 508 among other
places we have a notion that all functionality must be accessible, not
necessarily all ways of achieving all functionality.  The example I made
in the paragraph above also connects to this question.  It would be a
clear WCAG conformance failure if one part of a page failed one of the
checkpoints.  BUT... what about the situation in which the failed part
of the page was fully duplicated elsewhere.  This is a contrived
edge-case for a single web page, but not at all unusual for a complex
web site or web application (after all, we already have the notion of
multiple-ways in WCAG).  Is there any conformance distinction to be made
between a feature/aspect failure when it is the sole way of doing
something vs. when it is one of multiple ways and the other ways are
accessible?

Regards,

Peter

--