RE: Do we share an understanding of "requirement"?

Dear all,

I agree with Shadi, it is the wording that we have to work on to better explain what we mean when we say no reason to hold back in the discussion. R03 (Unique interpretation) and R04 (Replicability) are not the easiest requirements for a methodology but would be good to agree on the wording before we start writing the Methodology itself. In my opinion R03 is less important than R04. R03 dates from the time that there was much more room for interpretation inside WCAG1.0. WCAG2.0 leaves less room and more and more work is being done on important knowledge about accessibility support.

For a single webpage R04 is not really a problem. But for complete websites it is depending on different factors including size of the sample, scope and tolerance levels for failures etc.. We should cover this in the Methodology. And it should be measurable as Detlev proposes (by doing a testround on one or more sites).

Same results

In my experience it is very well possible to get the same results from different evaluators looking at the same website using a sampled set of webpages (random sample plus a targeted sample). Even if the evaluators make their own sample. I notice that small differences start to occur when there is a given tolerance for failures. The discussion then being about the impact of the failure. Also there is more need for clarity on what is 'accessibility supported' and what not (probably differs per country). Think we should also cover this in the Methodology and thus make R04 feasable.

In my opinion it is not necessary to include the claim of replication and testing for it with every evaluation.

In the WabCluster they tested the UWEM1.2 Methodology (for WCAG1.0) with a number of European evaluation organizations and the checklists showed the same pass and fails even though the flexibility of that Methodology was enormous.

Kindest regards,

Eric

=========================
Eric Velleman