Re: Namespace class for Pointers in RDF

+1 for renaming Namespace class as XMLNamespace
I am also fine with namespaceName for representing either a URI or IRI. As
Carlos notes, this is certainly in accordance with the spec. However, we
could also call the property , following XSD [1], 'anyURI' and explicitly
note, as XSD does, that this may be either an IRI or URI. This might avoid
confusion with the use of 'namespaceName,' which although compatible with
the spec, might not be as familiar a term.

[1] - http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-2/#anyURI

--> Mike Squillace
IBM Human Ability and Accessibility Center
Accessibility Tools Framework (ACTF) co-technical lead
http://www.eclipse.org/actf

W:512.823.7423
M:512.970.0066

External: http://www.ibm.com/able
Internal: http://w3.ibm.com/able

Shadi Abou-Zahra <shadi@w3.org>
Sent by: public-wai-ert-request@w3.org
09/01/2008 09:40 AM

Carlos Iglesias <carlos.iglesias@fundacionctic.org>
cc
public-wai-ert@w3.org
Subject
Re: Namespace class for Pointers in RDF

Hi Carlos,

This is an important point, thank you for raising it!

It seems that XPointer expressions use URI references, and that IRI
references need to be escaped into URI references:
  - <http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-xptr-framework-20030325/#escaping>

It may be best to adopt this approach as well. We could keep the term
'namespaceURI' intentionally, to signal that the namespaces should be
URI references. Additionally, we should adopt the definition and point
readers to the XPointer specification for more background.

On the other hand, if we decide to use IRI references directly then we
will need to consider the impact of it for the RDF/XML serialization of
pointers and therefore also for EARL reports.

Regards,
   Shadi

Carlos Iglesias wrote:

> Hi group,
>
> Currently the Namespace class consists of:
>
> Namespace (ptr:prefix, ptr:namespaceURI)
>
> We created the Namespace class to be able to indicate namespaces for
XPath and XPointer expressions, so our usage is limited to XML
Namespacing, and thus I think we should name the class XMLNamespace to
distinguish it from other namespacing mechanisms.

> Additionally, XML 1.0 makes use of URIs for the namespace identification
[1], but XML 1.1 use IRIs with the same purpose [2]. So, if we use a
namespaceURI property we are somehow restricting the usage of the
vocabulary with XML 1.1

> The options are using a namespaceIRI property instead, as it is a
superset of URIs (my only concern is that the term is far less "popular"),
or a more generic name for the property (e.g. namespaceName as in the
specification)