RE: validity levels

-----Original Message-----
From: public-wai-ert-request@w3.org [mailto:public-wai-ert-

Paul Walsh, Segala wrote:

> Warnings (in tools) shouldn't exist as they're pretty meaningless to
> experienced testers and only give inexperienced 'users' the wrong
impression
> about the state of results. It's not a bad idea for EARL to support it as
> means of bookmarking stuff.

Thus for my own understanding (since Shadi wants me to do some
subclassing here ;-) ), let us say I have a Java compiler report on some
compilation units: how do I report the compiler warnings? As a subclass
of cannotTell? I don't think the definition fits at all: code compilers
*do know* what a warning is. (... and we all know about the Bobby use
case problem.)

[PW] Sounds like a good use case Carlos. I'm in favour for EARL supporting
the use case as I suggested in my earlier. I'm hoping however, that we can
keep away from enabling tools to publish results that allow users to
misinterpret them as passes.

> Tools that give warnings and hence give users the wrong impression about
the
> compliance of a Web site, are a large part of the problem of inaccessible
> sites claiming accessibility compliance. An extreme example is the overuse
> of Bobby to demonstrate compliance with Triple-A. Only the seriously
> inexperienced would do this. But it happens a lot, allowing Watchfire to
> have healthy Christmas parties.

Maybe their parties are not due to Bobby sales ;-)

[PW] Yes I'm sure the other accessibility tools help in some way ;) Don't
get me wrong, my teams use tools all the time, naturally. I just have an
issue with 'Bobby'... it should be renamed to 'escaped convict'.

Ok enough rambling! :)

Paul

regards,
carlos

--
Dr Carlos A Velasco - http://access.fit.fraunhofer.de/
Fraunhofer-Institut für Angewandte Informationstechnik FIT