Re: WCAG 2.0 Conformance Claims

Christophe Strobbe wrote:
> You can't make assumptions about how the type of user agent that will be
> used to render the HTML document: on a screen, through projection, on a
> refreshable braille display, with speech synthesis, ... So if the HTML
> document, say 'home.htm', has stylesheets for each of these media types,
> the following would all count as Web units:
> - home.htm with the CSS for 'screen',
> - home.htm with the CSS for 'projection',
> - home.htm with the CSS for 'braille',
> - home.htm with the CSS for 'aural',
> - ...

OK, and how do you identify the different web units? The URL for the
HTML document is not enough, because the HTML document is the same in
all the web units.

I see this primarily as a WCAG issue, not an EARL issue. The WCAG WG
created the term "Web Unit". So they have to define it :-)

> 1. Let us assume that Python applets are not in the baseline and that
> there is a fallback for each Python applet using a technology within the
> baseline, then the conformance claim applies to the fallback (and the
> Python applets must not interfere with the content). I don't know if
> EARL can take baselines into account (I'm too tired to check now). Maybe
> a "Baseline Description Language" would be useful?

Again, I see this primarily as a WCAG issue, not an EARL issue.
Additionally we did not decide whether we want EARL to be used for
conformance claims.

--
Johannes Koch - Competence Center BIKA
Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Information Technology (FIT.LIFE)