Re: more properties for the location class (was Re: locating assertions in non-text based formats)

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:56:14 +0200, Shadi Abou-Zahra <shadi@w3.org> wrote:

> Based on Christophe's findings in PDF and Flash, I suggest adding the
> following properties to earl:location (which is still in discussion
> itself):
>
> * earl:page - to help describe the location in word processor formats
>
> * earl:frame - to help describe the location in frame-based formats (eg.
> multimedia presentations)
>
> * earl:time - to help describe the location in a time-based format (eg.
> audio files)

Hmmm. First thing is that we have a location property and a Location class
proposed. As can be seen, it is too easy to confuse the two - I suggest
something like location and TheLocator as URI endings - it is still
possible to get confused, especially for people who aren't used to the
class/property model, but at least you can see that they are different and
which one you have.

In Word documents there is a bookmark function (more or less equivalent to
a Xpointer I guess) - why wouldn't we usee that if we were going to point
into them.

Multimedia presentations can easily be wrapped in SMIL. This means that it
is more or less always possible to do this as a way of constructing an XML
pointer - for time, location, a moving location over time, etc. I think we
should suggest this technique rather than rewriting SMIL in earl. Danbri
adn I did some work on this a few years ago - I think we published the SVG
stuff (abouit identifying a particular object within the image - Jim Ley
has made nice demos based on the technique although they are nothing to do
with EARL. Have a look at http://www.w3.org/2001/08/rdfweb/svg-foaf.html
for an idea of how to do this...

cheers

Charles McCathieNevile                      Fundacion Sidar
charles@sidar.org   +61 409 134 136    http://www.sidar.org