Re: locating subject of test results in EARL

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 02:37:25 +1100, Gabriele Bartolini
<me@gabrielebartolini.it> wrote:

>> I read through the list threads you suggested but I'm still not sure how
>> your fuzzy pointer system works. Could you provide a short description
>> and
>> perhaps an example or two?
>
> Yep. I agree.

[snip]
> However, on the other hand, if some people promote the normalisation
> process of an HTML (to an XML document in order to produce fuzzy
> xpointers), I want to raise some doubts about it, which could hopefully
> lead me to a better understanding of the issue.
>
> If we are indeed concerned about locating some content, I may agree this
> solution would perfectly work. However, if our aim is to provide users
> with information regarding errors or problems in the source and
> specifically in HTML tags, normalisation could introduce further errors
> IMHO.
>
> In particular, I'd like to know if you had thought about a strategy of
> presenting the results to the users. If a document gets normalised, what
> information about the structure do you intend to present: the original or
> the normalised one? Do you get my point now?

I think the hard part of this problem is best dealt with by tools. Users
who edit their own code by hand are a minority even in accessibility-aware
production.

But the question is still important. Any approach to normalisation has to
allow for going back to the original, in theory. In practice, I would be
happy with a process that normalised HTML and tag soup to XHTML on the
basis that this is what WCAG promotes anyway, and is a good idea. But I
don't know if that will get consensus. (Are there any reasons not to do
it?)

cheers

Charles McCathieNevile                      Fundacion Sidar
charles@sidar.org   +61 409 134 136    http://www.sidar.org