Re: EARL and describing tests Re: Agenda for F2F at TP

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 16:20:57 -0500, Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org> wrote:

> Le 28 févr. 2005, à 10:43, Charles McCathieNevile a écrit :
> > Hmm. EARL provides some simple (and useful) ways of describing tests.
> > An example is the descriptions that can be extracted from among other
> > information in
> > http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/200305/axforms/earlinst.rdf - the
> > relevant parts are as follows:
>
> I do not recommend to use EARL for describing test. I would focus
> rather on an input interface to reference the test.
>
> EARL should really be reserved for the reporting. A Test suite is not
> only a collection of Test Cases, but test cases, manual, a framework to
> pass the test, etc.
>
> I think using EARL to describe the test would be a mistake, because it
> will make it suddenly a monster.

Almost certainly true, but without a mechanism to describe tests even
at the most abstract level, I can't see how EARL can be particularly
useful, someone has to define the tests, and whilst I don't think we
should do more than provide a framework on how to do it (one IFP and a
suggestion of a NAME/DESCRIPTION property to use) I do think that is
essential.  Otherwise I can't see how we can consume EARL from other
applications.

Cheers,

Jim.