Re: PersonUsingTool implicit vs explicit

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:42:42 +0200, Shadi Abou-Zahra <shadi@w3.org> wrote:

> In the current EARL 1.0 Schema [1], we implicitly define the
> "PersonUsingTool" class by the combination of the following:
>
>  * it is one type of the "Assertor" class
>  * it is the domain of the "UsingTool" property
>  * it is the domain of the "user" property
>
> [1]
> <http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/EARL10/WD-EARL10-Schema-20050628.html#schema-rdf>
>
> Besides leading to the fact that this construct allows several "user"
> and "UsingTool" properties to be used within a single "PersonUsingTool"
> class,

I don't think this is bad. It is certainly possible to use several tools
on a checkpoint. Hera actually does this, using the W3C markup validator
and the W3C CSS validator to check one checkpoint. It  is in fact a tool
using other tools, with no person involved normally. Something which I
don't think we can describe in the current spec, since there is no way to
describe that a Tool was the "operator".

> the restrictions on FOAF:Person are defined twice making the schema
> rather confusing and ugly.

Yes, but otherwise your instance data has multiple Person definitions.

Imagine:

fred runs a test. Makes some decisions on his own, others using MyTool,
others using MyTool and YourTool. Under the current structure you have the
following (pseudo-markup)

#Assertion1 :assertedBy #ass1 .
#Assertion2 :assertedBy #ass2 .
#Assertion3 :assertedBy #ass1 .
#Assertion4 :assertedBy #ass3 .

#ass1 a foaf:Person;
       foaf:name "fred";
       foaf:etc 'blablabla' .

#ass2 a :PersonUsingTool;
       :user #ass1
       :usingTool <MyTool>
       :usingTool <YourTool>

#ass2 a :PersonUsingTool;
       :user #ass1
       :usingTool <MyTool>

Having a "Human" Class, and a "person" Property (which would need to point
to an instance of foaf:Person as its value, and that needing the
restrictions) just forces you to put the extra stripe

#ass a :Human;
      :Person [ a foaf:Person;
                  foaf:etc 'blablabla' . ] .

even in the simple case of a person making the decision on their own. For
the rest it looks the same, the only difference being in the URI in the
code...

cheers

Charles McCathieNevile                              chaals@opera.com
   Here's one we prepared earlier:   http://www.opera.com/download