Re: Formalization of rule 91

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Chris Ridpath wrote:

>> Anyway, and coming back to our example, is there a better way to have both
>> link and label functionality sepparately? My answer is: only if the title
>> attribute (of the input) is used instead of a label.
>>
> Your example could be confusing to the user because the label serves 2
> purposes - link and label.

Not my example, but yours is the one which is confusing. I did not nest
labels and links. I just said WHY I DID NOT use labels in my example.
Labels and links were nested at your example at:
http://checker.atrc.utoronto.ca/docs/Resource%20booking.htm remember ;-)?

> We needed the same functionality as shown in your
> example and had to use to pieces of text - one is the control label and one
> is the link. Like this:
> http://checker.atrc.utoronto.ca/servlet/ChangeGuideline?lang=eng

That is right, but not the thing I want (remember that I wanted to add a
lot of "resources" and I don't want to have a double text for each).
That's why I preferred using the title attribute.

Please, take notice that:

1.- http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/tests/test57.html says that
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/tests/testfiles/57-3.html passes the test,
so I assume that as long a a title attribute is provided, labels, though
recommended, are not required. That's why I added the [not(@title)] part
in my XQuery expressions.

2.- Your example at
http://checker.atrc.utoronto.ca/servlet/ChangeGuideline?lang=eng fails
with http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/tests/test197.html (lots of "(view
details)" links pointing to different targets ;-) ???!!!!

3,. You should validate
http://checker.atrc.utoronto.ca/servlet/ChangeGuideline?lang=eng with
itself (it does not right now) ;-)

4.- I will test your validator. :-)