From: public-wai-ert-request@w3.org On Behalf Of Karl Dubost
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2005 23:39
To: public-wai-ert@w3.orgpublic-wai-ert@w3.orgpublic-wai-ert@w3.org
Subject: Re: EARL Use Cases

Le 21 févr. 2005, à 10:09, Shadi Abou-Zahra a écrit :
> Based upon the existing user scenarios in the EARL spec and the most
> recent comments on the list, here are some EARL use cases for
> discussion. Is there anything missing?

I think there is something missing, I will try to articulate it.

* test case
* test scenario
* test suite
* test results

Are all different things. For Example, you might have different
individual test cases, but in specific cases you will need to associate
them in a sequence (a test scenario) to demonstrate an implementation
is working. So the result of the validation is not anymore if each
individual test went well but more if the sequence went effectively
with the validation of each test.

So come the notion of conditional testing. If this test XY is positive,
go to this next test A, if not go to this test B.

I don't think EARL should manage that in the language itself BUT I
think that EARL should have an architecture that will permit to feed
the language with parameters. For example a test can be mandatory or
optional, in this case, EARL should be able to take that into account.
But it's not necessary something which has to be part of EARL.

We could have a RDF file with all tests indicating if they are
normative or optional and then EARL would be able to digest it. A kind
of INPUT API.

In EARL 1.0, the Class Of Products is also very limited. Again it's
something that could be external, so that it would be dependent on the
people using it. You will have a file which defines the class of
products.

For example, in an certification class, you could have different
evaluation levels
		Web developer
			test 1
			test 2
			test 3
		Webmaster
			test 2
			test 3
		Teacher
			test 1

3 classes of products. But we can't cover all possible cases in EARL,
then it would be good to give the possibility to declare that outside
of EARL, saying which format should have these classes of products. :)

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***