Re: locating assertions in non-text based formats (was Re: About locating subject results and context)

Hi Shadi,

This page shows a bit about accessibility and PDF:
http://www.webaim.org/techniques/acrobat/

Pointing into formats like Flash or PDF is not easy to achieve in a
general way, since the underlying format is unknown, proprietary and in
some cases binary. The formats act more like programming languages than
a traditional document format.

If the issue is on a specific position of a page orientated format, like
PDF, you can point out the coordinates and the page where it occures. If
it is animated, like Flash, then you have to add the time the page
failed as well.

One thing that may be achieved, is to focus the testing on the
functionality different groups of disabled can see via the browsers
accessibility interface. It is then possible to see if synchronous text
is being written to the accessibility interface at the same time as the
presentation is being shown on the screen or trap other accessibility
related events in the browser.

Also this leads to the question of when you are testing the formats
themselves, and when you are testing the tool (i.e. browser)
functionality. However, the browser accessibility interface is probably
the only interface proprietary vendors will relate to when it comes to
providing accessibility adapted formats, so this would be a least common
denominator for all plugin format vendors for a given browser platform.

However, if you are testing via the accessibility interface, that does
not solve the problem of pointing to the source.

Regards,
Nils

--
Nils Ulltveit-Moe <nils@u-moe.no>