Re: Another comment about confidence value.

I would suggest to consider confidence factors as probabilities
associated to assertions (like "this test has failed").

In this way they have a very clear semantics (by the way, this is what
confidence factors most often meant in artificial intelligence research
done on expert systems some years ago). This will pay back in several
ways, for example if somebody decides to run some experiment to find
those numbers in some specific report. Or if somebody wants to use those
numbers to produce a summarization, like "what is the joint probability
of test results for tests implementing checkpoint 1.1").

Then, depending on specific needs, the way in which a probability level
is described may be through a numeric scale (eg. p \in [0,1]) or through
an ordinal scale like ("low", med", "high").

Best regards,
--
         Giorgio Brajnik
Dip. di Matematica e Informatica   | voice: +39 (0432) 55.8445