Re: Locating the subject and dynamic content

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 17:15:28 +1000, Nils Ulltveit-Moe <nils@u-moe.no>
wrote:

> However, if the assessing tool saved the web page that was assessed,
> then a line number reference would hit the correct spot on the saved
> page. A web designer would then see exactly where the problem occurred.
> Other pointing strategies should work the saved page as well.
> Administrating the saved pages could be done by the accessibility
> assessment tools by providing web proxies pointing to the saved, static
> versions of the assessed pages.
> Mvh.

Yeah, but this is a right pain for the tools, and really not feasible for
tools working on large sites (where we can expect, due to the quirks of
how society works, to have implementation of monitoring systems).

Carlos can comment better on the details, but although TAW saves some
content it doesn't save enough to be able to work offline, and going part
way there isn't so useful - you need to be able to work on the entire page
including embedded objects like images, and you need to know if it has
changed online too.

Solving that problem is close enough to solving the persistence problem
(to the extent we can) that I suspect it is better ust to work on the
premise that we don't necessarily keep an offline version. (There is
nothing to stop that of course. Thinking about it, having an offline
version to show something might be an interesting approach to providing
some evidence to back up a claim that was made at a particular time, too.
Although I would be surprised to see it become common practice)

mvh

cheers

Charles McCathieNevile                      Fundacion Sidar
charles@sidar.org   +61 409 134 136    http://www.sidar.org