Re: top-level nav input -- Re: WAI Website IA Draft for Review

On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 12:22 PM, Shawn Henry <shawn@w3.org> wrote:

> === WAI GUIDELINES ===

+1 with Shawn's points considered, this make good sense.

> === Imperative versus Gerund ===
> Develop, Design & Write, Evaluate, Teach

I agree with Sharron that we don't want to repeat "for Accessibility".
> How about: [...Accessibility...], Plan & Manage, Develop, Design & Write,
> Evaluate, Teach ?

+1

> ===New to Accessibility==
> My first reaction to this is that this information is useful to many
> people beyond those who are new to accessibility, but if it's labelled
> "new" then people who aren't new are likely to never even look at it – and
> then miss some of our *best* information and resources.
>
> What about something more like: "*Accessibility Fundamentals*" or
> "Accessibility Basics"?

Good point about the material having broader application and interest - I
had not thought about that. This would also be useful material for someone
promoting, advocating or teaching - Fundamentals captures that well IMO.

> === Design & Write ===

> I *really* like most of the order re-arrangement – e.g., moving Evaluating
> from left-er to right-er. :-)
>
> I am a little hesitant to have a separate category for "Design & Write" –
> because we have so little there, especially compared to the Develop
> category. Also, I'm not convinced that everything under there should go
> there, and I think we only have a little more that could fit under there.
> (more on that later)
>
> However, I see some pros to having it, and so I'm fine having that
> category as long as others don't have concerns.
>
> One thing I do feel fairly strongly about (and yet open to be talked out
> of ;) is that it should be swapped in the order of the nav with Develop –
> for one reason, because we have soooo much more material for that category.

Neutral on this point.

> === Evaluating, Testing, other? ===
> getting more data and input on this particular point.

> The main issue is what will the target audiences look for when looking for
> that information, and will they have significant negative reactions to
> either wording? On this point, I do not have sufficient user knowledge,
> anecdotal evidence, or other info to even contribute useful ideas.
>
> With the last charter renewal, we said that we would use WAI IG more.
> Perhaps this is a good thing to use them for – to get some data and
> perspectives on this and other issues with the nav? Maybe a simple survey
> with a few questions? Or, as a recruiting tool for Charlotte's testing?

A survey of WAI IG for a few of these points could be done quickly and is
likely to have significant overlap with the kind of audience that would be
using the new site.

> === Teach ===

> This is clear and simple… however, I wonder if it "speaks" to all of the
> potential audiences? Previous ideas were "Advocate" and "Promote".
> Ideas:
> * Promote & Teach
> * Teach & Advocate
>
> I'm thinking leave it just "Teach" for now – and have a second word
> planned for when we have new related materials.

Sounds good to me as a plan