RE: Intro to Slide Show

Hello, all - I sent the message below to Shawn and Charmane, but to the
wrong address for the list:

Re Shawn's editorial comments:
- "For a complete index of slides, go to Overview of Web Accessibility."
Is this going to link to the table of contents
(http://www.w3.org/Talks/WAI-Intro/Overview.html) or something else?

- The file that lists all the "slides" in one HTML page is:
http://www.w3.org/Talks/WAI-Intro/all.htm

I think we can be more concise by just using links:

Overview of Web Accessibility
 - Table of contents [I would not use the word "index" - index is at the end
of a doc; it's not a table of contents]
 - Tips for Using the Slides
 - Slide show (26 pages)
 - Slide show (all slides on one page)

I think we should have the one-page version of the slide show online. It's
one thing when someone is giving a presentation using the slides vs. looking
at the slides online - i.e., 26 page loads. For me the one-pager is a much
more user-friendly format that can be easily printed out.

The slide show format is one of our page design types, and down the road I
think we should consider where/when/how it should be used as well as the
actual design and formatting.

I personally feel slides - HTML or PowerPoint - are most of the time an
inefficient and limited way to present information. I've only done them when
I've had to and felt very boxed in by the format - ex. only so much info can
go on one slide whether or not the concept needs more room to be effectively
expressed in one place.

Edward Tufte offers some interesting comments on PowerPoint:
 - wired.com "PowerPoint is Evil" article:
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/ppt2.html. Unfortunately, the
article is short. In his seminar "Presenting Data and Information" and in
his essay "The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint," Tufte expresses his thoughts
on PowerPoint more in depth.
 - Review on Tufte's "The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint":
http://contactsheet.org/articles/2003/08/28/the_cognitive_style_of_powerpoin
t.html

Regards,

Blossom