Re: Summary from today's EOWG discussion

hi,

as my participation will be limited in today's call i will sum up my
thoughts:

Shadi Abou-Zahra schrieb:

> Ref: <http://www.w3.org/2009/10/02-eo-minutes.html>
>
> Had a good discussion with the Education and Outreach Working Group
> (EOWG) earlier today, but unfortunately also several action items.
>
> The main changes suggested were to also put the reports in the same
> look&feel design of the Demo pages (rather than to have it in the WAI
> design),
i think this is a good point and i support it. but it should not include
the tab-navigation.

> and to separate out the report into 4 tables each, using the
> Principles as page headings.

+1 - it makes the table structure one dimension simpler and is therefore
easier to understand. complex structures are IMHO the #1 accessibility
and usability issue with tables.

> Please find below a summary of the changes, some of which may need
> further discussion. Send your thoughts to the list in preparation for
> next week's teleconference call.
>

> # Page design and navigation
>  - evaluation pages should be in the BAD design (not the WAI design)
>  - make a "show/hide report" button (like "show/hide annotations")
>  - add W3C/WAI branding to all Demo pages (logos on top-left side)
+1

>  - reflect the current location in the <h1> and in the page title [1]
+1

>  - consider adding links between the annotations and the reports

+1, IRC this has been the original idea (but maybe it was depreciated
later).
"read more about this issue in the evaluation report"

> # Evaluation report
>  - principles should be page headings (separate table into 4 tables)
+1 see above

>  - change "Show full description" to "show full success criteria"
i would prefer "show success criteria(s)"

>  - use fractions (X/Y) rather than pass/fail for guidelines level
do you mean fractions at the principal level? then i agree. but i do
strongly disagree at the guideline level. but we don not have the words
fail / pass there.

>  - for consideration/editors discretion:
>   -- remove indentation (for SC and Techs) in the description column
disagree.

>   -- add indentation before the GL/SC numbers in the "#" column
disagree. more indentations would make the tabel even more difficult to
read and would not improve the general appearance.

>   -- n/a should be in lower case and grayed (to be easier to skim)
let the native speakers decide.

>   -- use progressive color shading to better indicate the levels [2]
>

> # Overview page
>  - remove all "with annotations" and "evaluation report" links
>  - add a small explanation of the annotations and report instead
>  - clarify that Demo pages are in a different format without icons
>

> [1] consider imitating a browser chrome in the Demo area, to show the
> "Page Titled" accessibility requirement between before/after versions

+1

> [2] see suggestions for colors from Liam, for consideration:
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-eo-badtf/2009Oct/0000>

i like liams styling if we drop the principal-level (this is too dark).

hope that helps.
michael

--
Michael Stenitzer | WIENFLUSS information.design.solutions
www.wienfluss.net | proschkogasse 1/5 | wien06at