Re: Use dark text on light background

Hi Michael,

Michael Stenitzer wrote:
> hi shadi,
>
> ummm, you are right. my answer was a bit "compact" ;-)
>
> - Use dark text on light background
>
> * black on white is maybe not the optimum, but reasonably good from an
>   accessibility point-of-view.

Just to be clear, the WCAG 2.0 Technique identified do not say black on
white. Actually, there is a future link to a Technique that says avoid
white background (Tom was absolutely right on this).

> * we decided not to change the visual design too much for accessibility
>   reasons - one intention was to show that you can make vissually
>   appealing webdesigns accessible. in our daily business accessibility
>   is accepted by our clients as an additional benefit as long as it does
>   not interfere with there original intentions (eg. design).[1]

I thought of changing the foreground/background color of either the
"Terms and Conditions" notice, or the "Buy Tickets ..." lines on the
Tickets page. This way we do not change the overall visual design too
much. It similar like we changed the link colors and font styles.

> * we do have not that much text

I think the "Terms and Conditions" could be a good example. It is not
much text but it is important text (like a legal notice).

> - Ensure links change colour after visit
> * i thought we picked out those WAI-AGE requirements backed by
>   WCAG-techniques.

It is a strong should. However, if the majority of the group thinks its
good usability practice then we could do it. Note: one of the WAI-AGE
findings is that usability improvements are often helpful for people who
are new to computers, of which older people are often part of (I think
this also replicates the findings of your study).

> please, don't see me as an advocate against those two recommendations. i
> just thought they are not as important to include as others.

Totally! It's an open discussion...

> what do the others think?
>
> my 2 cents, michael
>
> [1] we are right now dealing with a client that says: it's much more
> important to have a website exactly looking like their brochures,
> usability is not important(tm). not even think about accessibility.

Absolutely! This is why I'm not proposing huge changes, just bits of
text/links here and there.

Regards,
   Shadi