W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-wai-cc@w3.org > August 2016

WAI Coordination Call Minutes from 31 August Call-In Information

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 15:49:26 -0400
To: public-wai-cc@w3.org
Message-ID: <20160831194926.GI2133@opera.rednote.net>
Minutes from the WAI Coordination Call call on 31 August are provided
below as text, and are available as hypertext at:

http://www.w3.org/2016/08/31-waicc-minutes.html


   W3C

                                                                                   - DRAFT -

                                                                               SV_MEETING_TITLE

31 Aug 2016

   See also: IRC log

Attendees

   Present
          Tzviya, fesch, Janina, Rich_Schwertfeger

   Regrets
          Josh, Lisa, Brent, Chaals, Kim, Kathy, Jim

   Chair
          SV_MEETING_CHAIR

   Scribe
          janina

Contents

     * Topics
         1. Confirming scribe and any agenda additions
         2. W3C Reorg update and clarification(s)
         3. Confirming scribe and any agenda additions
         4. SVG Accessibility TF status
         5. Again on any last TPAC questions, including RQTF room usage, roving meetings
         6. WG and TF participation checks? TF home pages check? Can interested people find your current work?
         7. Which groups are looking for increased participation from which kinds of expertise and stakeholders?
         8. Clarifying location of HTML AAM, and why
         9. Community groups and workshops, recent/filled liaison needs?
        10. Upcoming publications, announcements, discussion threads to promote, including on WAI IG?
        11. Any other business?
        12. Next meeting: next date, topic requests
     * Summary of Action Items
     * Summary of Resolutions
     _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Confirming scribe and any agenda additions

   <Judy> JB: scribe id'd; may add items in progress.

W3C Reorg update and clarification(s)

   <scribe> scribe: janina

   jb: Have been updates to reorg plan for W3C

   <Judy> ...a second clarification:

   <Judy> https://www.w3.org/2016/08/2016-reorg.html#h.9s308o6n8mce

   jb: There have been many discussions about where and how WAI fits into the new structure
   ... Concerns about coordinated accessibility program were expressed
   ... Edits to above draft intended to address this
   ... Judy continues as WAI Director with responsibility to report to management on how accessibility work is progressing

   gk: Do you have staff reporting to you?

   jb: That still needs more clarification
   ... I will have input to a11y staff throughout the organization
   ... The work that has been chartered will progress under program and strategy management plus a11y

Confirming scribe and any agenda additions

SVG Accessibility TF status

   jb: Believe someone has been saying SVG a11y no longer a W3C priority; that's not quite the case

   fe: Heard that resources were being reduced, affecting esp Doug
   ... Also that SVG not growing, both chairs now gone
   ... Doug wouldn't be able to work on authoring guidance, some tasks like that

   jb: There are multiple conversations ongoing about this; I need to collect more info and a fuller picture

   fe: At the moment we're in lock step with ARIA-1.1 and SVG 2
   ... Docs are ready, waiting for Dpub; now writing test scripts
   ... Both SVG and ARIA will be able to use the same testing framework

   mc: Note I'm not waiting on Dpub for anything.
   ... SVG docs ready to go

   jb: One fpwd, others are heartbeats.

   fe: We can't go further because of dependencies, but we're ready to go further

   jb: I will probably contact with more questions

   gk: Understand mathjax has ability to generate SVG image of the math

   ts: Yes

   jb: But not semantic, correct?

   fe: Should be semantic, though may be difficult for the authoring tool
   ... Should provide the ability to walk the formula

   gk: But the mathml not included in the SVG, correct?

   ts: Above my ability to respond

   jb: Someone at ETS has done work on this

   ts: Believe Design Science

   jb: Can someone follow up?

   gk: We're trying to develop best practice guidance for publishers on how to do math

   <tzviya> https://www.w3.org/community/mathonwebpages/

   ts: There's concern beyond publishing about this
   ... Note link above for community group on Web Math

   jb: We need to sieze on whatever work currently could help move accessibility of math forward
   ... Can George and Tzviya sort this and report back?

   gk: Should have a meeting for next week on this
   ... Who from SVG?

   fe: Ping Rich
   ... Or Amelia

Again on any last TPAC questions, including RQTF room usage, roving meetings

   mc: rqtf won't be meeting
   ... So room available Monday and Friday. Anyone need a room?

   jb: Possibly EO, possibly testing/conformance
   ... Thinking we should keep the room for ad hoc meeting

   mc: Note it's only available Monday and Friday
   ... Lisa thought Friday morning might help COGA

   jb: Seems there may be up to 4 groups that might find this helpful ...

   mc: Noting EO has a room

   jb: So, three groups

WG and TF participation checks? TF home pages check? Can interested people find your current work?

   jb: Asking for updates on TF and WG home pages -- Can people find our work?

   <MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/svg-a11y-tf/

   <Rich> https://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2016

   <tzviya> DPUB Agenda (still a little tentative): https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Sep_2016_F2F_Logistics_and_Details#Agenda

   jb: We always try to clean these up ahead of TPAC

Which groups are looking for increased participation from which kinds of expertise and stakeholders?

   ts: Recalling APA meeting with Leonie about ARIA-Details discovery

   <tzviya> https://github.com/w3c/html/issues/561

   js: Notes need to discuss discoverability during TPAC

   jb: Lots of documentation on this

   <MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/2015/08/extended-description-analysis

   js: Notes that CSS A11y TF now agreed by APA, ARIA, and CSS

   jb: Notes available room later in the week!

Clarifying location of HTML AAM, and why

   jb: Is there an update?

   rs: Will discuss again on Thursday's ARIA call
   ... Most people seem to be OK with giving Web Platforms exclusive publication
   ... Except that we do need adequate review time
   ... So, we're trying to figure that out. How much time ahead of CR publication, for instance
   ... Generally, people work on the doc and don't worry about ownership
   ... Any group could lose people and then the doc loses staff

   mc: Not sure the editors care either way, either that we leave it as is, or that we move it over
   ... Don't believe the joint status has imposed any burden
   ... Actually the proposed review time is greater than what we currently have
   ... I'm confident in current staffing on this doc, just worried about the future
   ... If there's no problem today, why remove our buffer?

   jb: Understand short time acceptance, but concerned on long term view

   mc: Certainly we want to encourage another group working--no objection, except that it's not just their stake in the results

   js: Recalls ARIA in HTML discussion. Are we reviewing as we promissed?

   rs: Yes, I am, and the AAM people are. But the WG hasn't

   <MichaelC> all the AAMs except Core or AccName, which are ARIA-specific, are joint

   jb: Noting current status is joint, and PLH recommeending keep it that way for now

   rs: Can PLH send an email to that effect?

   <Zakim> MichaelC, you wanted to say if ARIA lacks resources but HTML still interested, joint ownership means they can be the buffer - it goes both ways

   <Zakim> janina, you wanted to remember ARIA in HTML module

   rs: It's Adrian who's trying to get out from under all joint ownerships

   jb: Perhaps we need to raise that with PLH

Community groups and workshops, recent/filled liaison needs?

   jb: Are any submitted for VR Workshop

   <Judy> https://www.w3.org/2016/06/vr-workshop/

   rs: Recalling Web Interest Group was to start on a web API

   <Judy> JB: sees Charles la Pierre from Benetech registered for W3C virtual reality workshop

   rs: Seems, mostly Google put up an API doc where they listed Microsoft and Apple as editors
   ... We had no reports on this work
   ... WICG -- Web Incubator --
   ... Positive aspect is this will be brought to WICG, and we do need an API for extensibility

   <Rich> http://a11y-api.github.io/a11y-api/spec/

   jb: Would be good to get a second person to the VR Workshop

   <MichaelC> https://github.com/a11y-api/a11y-api/blob/master/explainer.md

Upcoming publications, announcements, discussion threads to promote, including on WAI IG?

   mc: Noting Graphics module to go FPWD, also two FPWD from COGA, and an update on Understanding WCAG

   <MichaelC> Graphics for 6 Sep

   <MichaelC> COGA for 15 Sep

   <MichaelC> WCAG Notes for 8 Sep

Any other business?

Next meeting: next date, topic requests

   jb: Noting just ahead of TPAC on 14 Sep

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Found Scribe: janina
Present: Tzviya fesch Janina Rich_Schwertfeger
Regrets: Josh Lisa Brent Chaals Kim Kathy Jim

-- 

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
			sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net
		Email:	janina@rednote.net

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup:	http://a11y.org

The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures	http://www.w3.org/wai/apa
Received on Wednesday, 31 August 2016 19:49:51 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 17:52:06 UTC