[minutes] 20220608 W3C Process Community Group

Available at:

Text version:

                              W3 Process CG

08 June 2022

    [2]IRC log.

       [2] https://www.w3.org/2022/06/08-w3process-irc


           fantasai, florian, jrosewell, plh, wseltzer

           Chris, Jeff


           fantasai, wseltzer


     1. [3]Goals and timeline for upcoming Process: Work for the
        next 9 months.
     2. [4]4 Pull requests: Let's approve pull requests within 2
     3. [5]Director-Free Formal Objection handling: Status & next
     4. [6]Director-Free TAG appointment: Status & next steps.
     5. [7]Director-Free Chartering and pre-AC review: Status &
        next steps.
     6. [8]P2022 to close: restarting the closures.
     7. [9]P2022 issues list.
     8. [10]Next meeting: June 22.
     9. [11]Summary of action items

Meeting minutes

   Goals and timeline for upcoming Process: Work for the next 9 months.

    plh: Fantasai and I are your new chairs, welcome back
    … we have no fires
    … but we should set goals for the next 9mo
    … a few edits that have been approved and merged

    <plh> [12]Change log

      [12] https://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process/Drafts/#changes-2021

    plh: nothing that requires shipping a process update urgently
    … mainly continued prep for post-Director
    … Don't think we're on-track to ship a process in September
    … and as there are no significant substantive changes
    … We could get Dir-Free by Q1/Q2 2023
    … need we ship a Process before then? I don't think so

    <wseltzer> +1

    florian: agree
    … git would permit us to ship one while working on another in
    … but don't think it's worth the pause we've seen in the past

    fantasai: the pause was combo of explanation and exhaustion.
    don't think that's necessary here

    <fantasai> wseltzer: I think we should explicitly choose to
    wait until DF to update

    <plh> wseltzer: let's wait until we have Director-Free

    <florian> wfm

    plh: I think, unless someone comes with something critical,
    focus on Q1-Q2 Dir-Free release
    … by moving things one by one from Dir-Free branch to main

   4 Pull requests: Let's approve pull requests within 2 weeks

    plh: PRs. Not looking for approval today, but heads-up that
    we'll ask for decision in 2 weeks
    … 2 PRs on the same issue
    … from wseltzer, florian

    florian: as mine preceded Wendy's, which has PSIG review
    … if people like Wendy's, take it

    fantasai: but Nigel pointed out problems

    ACTION: wseltzer to re-review 599 and Nigel's comments

    ACTION: everyone fix the process

    plh: if there are other things in 572, do a distinct PR
    … Wendy, tell us how to move forward

    <fantasai> florian: the additional changes in 572 are part of
    the same thing, just touching more of the surrounding text

    plh: 602 is simple clarification of how we announce charter
    extensions to AC

    florian: can we just approve this?
    … it's trivial

    wseltzer: +1

    plh: let's merge 602


      [13] https://github.com/w3c/w3process/pull/602/files

    plh: 586


      [14] https://github.com/w3c/w3process/pull/586

    florian: this is one from Dir-Free
    … when a doc is making progress on rec track, there are things
    team should check
    … currently, it's marked the Director is supposed to do, but
    should be done by team
    … not decision responsibility but verification
    … it's starting from WG decision
    … and the possibility of AC review if something goes wrong
    … so it should be easy to replace Dir with Team

    plh: and a should became must

    plh: people SHOULD look at it
    … in 2 weeks, I'll ask if merge


      [15] https://github.com/w3c/w3process/pull/586#issuecomment-967144665

    fantasai: I agree with changes. see Leonie's comment
    … that team should document exceptions
    … should address either in this PR or elsewhere

    florian: I'll add something

    plh: I'll want to make sure Ralph sees the update

   Director-Free Formal Objection handling: Status & next steps.

    plh: FOs

    florian: we have a description of Council in DF branch
    … not completely up-to-date with experimental process, esp wrt
    … we also need to review

    <plh> [16]W3M-AB Formal Objection Planning


    plh: I came up with this draft ^
    … steps and who's responsible
    … check its alignment with DF

    florian: I expect most of that detail would go in to /Guide

    plh: agree. mostly check for consistency
    … and there's more work to be done around dismissal

    florian: not stable yet

    plh: I'll ask Ralph to join us next meeting, as he's been
    Council team contact

    florian: a nit, Member Submission appeal
    … we should fold into the same process once we have the
    Council, currently says for technical things go to TAG and for
    process things go to AB

    florian: and detail about what's public when
    … also group decision appeal. similar to FO, but not quite

    plh: timing
    … right now Dir can decide whether to address when objection is
    brought or at transition time
    … who addresses when to address? give Council the option?

    florian: timer starts when objection is filed. team has some
    time to review, ...

    plh: bad side effect
    … e.g. I have groups who have FO on record, who haven't sent
    transition request

    florian: start a new issue

    fantasai: people shouldn't be able to escalate to council at
    non-transition time unless at least formal decision to which
    they object, or long-standing (year-long) issue ignored
    … you shouldn't be able to go to council on e.g. an editor's
    choice that has not yet been escalated to the WG

   Director-Free TAG appointment: Status & next steps.

    florian: we had a complete proposal, we haven't touched it in a
    long time, probably need to simplify
    … how should we proceed?

    fantasai: think we should file an issue with AB
    … w high level overview

    plh: let's review proposal next time

    florian: I can proceed in parallel

   Director-Free Chartering and pre-AC review: Status & next steps.

    florian: DF branch just replaces Dir with Team
    … some people feel it's insufficient
    … and want more member role/transparency/mgt
    … should we do 2 steps or 1?

    plh: 2 steps. let's land what we have and then recognize we
    need to do better

    florian: I'm fine with it

    florian: but some people not here have indicated being
    uncomfortable with that

    plh: who will work on this, wendy?

    [discussion of florian making a PR of the minimal changes]

   P2022 to close: restarting the closures.

    plh: florian and david spent lots of time on issue triage
    … reminder, we'll do some issue closure

    <florian> [17]https://github.com/w3c/w3process/


    plh: on upcoming calls

   P2022 issues list.

    plh: if you have issues that aren't on this list, please make
    sure you speak up
    … or if you believe issues should be dropped,

    florian: this isn't list of everything that must be fixed
    … it's a signal of things we'll probably try to solve

    plh: if you want issues to be on the list, chairs will be
    looking for volunteers.

   Next meeting: June 22.

    plh: btw, we should expect to share progress at TPAC


Received on Friday, 10 June 2022 15:18:19 UTC