Re: Agenda for the Process Call 22 sept 2021 7am Pacific Time

Regrets, conflict.

On 9/21/21 3:12 PM, David Singer wrote:

> Event at <https://www.w3.org/events/meetings/28d91e83-bc19-408e-816b-32ed7e9bd52e/20210825T070000>
> Webex at <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/internal-w3process/2019May/0000.html>
>
> IRC is #w3process
>
> Log of prior meeting at <https://www.w3.org/2021/08/25-w3process-minutes.html>
>
> Usual meeting time: SECOND and FOURTH WEDNESDAY OF THE MONTH AT 7AM PACIFIC. See <https://www.w3.org/groups/cg/w3process/calendar>
>
> 1) Assign scribe, etc.,
>
> 2) Agenda bash. (Nothing agenda+ at the time of writing <https://github.com/w3c/w3process/labels/Agenda%2B>)
>
> 3)  Progress on the FO.
>
> 3.1) I think we agree that all normative references that have implications on member behavior will be either (a) subject to the same community review and acceptance process or (b) be a specific dated reference, so an update to the process would be needed to change what’s referred to.  Confirm consensus on that.

+1

> 3.2) I think we have consensus on introducing text explicitly stating the precedence order of the membership agreement, process, and documents referred to by those (e.g. patent policy, CEPC, etc.). But PSIG is unlikely to complete their analysis and arrive at consensus soon. We might recommend publishing 2021 and agree to handle this in a future version (and we are unaware of any existing conflicts). Confirm consensus on that.

PSIG recommends we work on this for Process 2022, not as a late-breaking
change to Process 2021.

--Wendy

> 4) Open Pull Requests <https://github.com/w3c/w3process/pulls>. Editors to alert us to any that need consensus to pull, or action.
>

> 5) Process 2022 startup.
>
> 5.1) Editors to tell us when they are ready to have top-of-tree be our working draft. And when we can deal with Editorials <https://github.com/w3c/w3process/labels/Type%3A%20Editorial%20improvements>
>
> 5.2) Needing external referral:
>    [patent policy] Exclusion opportunity when work leaves a Working Group #518 <https://github.com/w3c/w3process/issues/518>
>      I assume we need to ask PSIG to look at this; it’s a patent policy question and we’ll need their input.
>
> 5.3) Can we bulk-move “Proposed to address” to “P2022”? Are there any deletions or additions to our proposed ‘focus list’? Many of these need proposed text, or discussion.
>    <https://github.com/w3c/w3process/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22P2022+Proposed+to+address%22>
>
> 5.4) Cleaning up. Let’s cherry-pick some “proposed to close” issues and, well, close them if we have consensus. Please look at <https://github.com/w3c/w3process/labels/P2022%20Proposed%20to%20close>.  There are probably some uncontroversial closes in there that we can close soon.
>
>    How about closing
>       #447 (about CG/IG/BGs and they are not under this process)
>       #429 (statements from the W3C; covered by P2020 ’statement’ provisions?)
>       #356 (streamlining the document; we re-orged last year, and need specific proposals to go further)
>
>    Similarly, are there issues on this list that people disagree we can close? Any disagreement means we remove the label.
>
> 5.5) Director-free. <https://github.com/w3c/w3process/labels/Director-free%20%28all%29>. 35 (!) open issues. We need a plan to reduce this. I expect to spend the bulk of a meeting soon on developing an action plan on all 35 of these, so volunteering to deal with them before that will save time/grief/pain etc.
>

> The usual closers:
>
> 6) Next meeting. Wed Oct 13th. The chair has a CONFLICT. Can someone else chair, or should we cancel? Maybe monthly is a good cadence for now and we’ll ramp up as summer ends?
>
> 7) Any other business.
>

> Dave Singer
> Multimedia and Software Standards, Apple
>
> singer@apple.com

Strategy Lead and Counsel, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
https://wendy.seltzer.org/        +1.617.863.0613 (mobile)