Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: EverTeal

> It's not a different track, it's just a variant on the REC status that allows
> it to accumulate new features, and is otherwise exactly the same as a REC.

OK, great. But that sorta demonstrates my point that this is confusing since the word “track” is overloaded .

> And the charter can allow the WG to choose, it's just that
> if there's a reason for the charter to restrict itself, it can do that.

My main point in this thread is there’s no reason to add this “knob” to the process for the charter writers to twiddle and the AC to approve.  I’m all for giving WG’s the right to use, or not use, the option of updating a Recommendation in place in the way EverTeal proposes.  I just don’t see any reason to a) lock this option in or out at charter time, and b) ask the AC for permission to use the option or not.

If there’s a use case for the charter / AC insisting that a WG restrict itself from using the new EverTeal process improvements, I’m not seeing it.  A large majority of the AC ignores charter ballots unless there is some juicy “political” angle to argue about, and the team has to beat the bushes (or extend the ballot) to meet the 5% threshold.  So I don’t see any pent up demand from the AC to micromanage charters.

Maybe there are a few on the AC who don’t like Living Standards and you think won’t object to EverTeal if it is “behind a flag” as it were an experimental browser feature.    I think it would be best in the long run to either persuade them during the Process 202x discussion, or let the Director decide whether to support their objections.

But whatever, I’m not going to keep pushing back if a critical mass of the CG thinks the charter writers and the AC want to be able to twiddle this knob.