Re: EverTeal

Florian,

Some comments.

1. We need an explainer.  Most particularly I have the following
concern.  We would like to encourage stakeholders to utilize the new
processes: updating, streamlining, etc. as we will now have a more agile
process.  But with all of the options, the reader of the process
document will only see that there is much more to read and more apparent
complexity.  We need to have an English language description of the
possible paths through the document and why this is helpful.

This is particularly true because the process document text often
includes language to handle unlikely corner cases.  An explainer can
focus on the usual case.

2. I'm not sure that Extensible is the best adjective since we use it
for the Extensible Web.

3. In section 5.2.6 s/discression/discretion/

4. In the fifth bullet of 5.2.6 (the new one) there are three
paragraphs.  However, only the first one seems actionable.  The other
two seem like parenthetical claifying text and so should be treated as
such (e.g. by using parenthesis, or starting with the word "Note).

5. 5.2.6.  Reference Drafts.  Just a note. I haven't yet understand the
full definition of "Patent Review Draft", so I cannot tell if its use to
replace "Reference Draft or CR" is all-encompassing.  In particularly
I'm concerned about migration - i.e. adoption of documents in new
charters produced after Process2020 with the new PP - where the
Reference Drafts are covered by Process 2019 and the current PP.

6. 6.1.2.  In the second bullet after CR, there is a deleted explanatory
phrase which says that we publish CRs to provide an exclusion under the
PP (which previously was the LCWD).  If I understand this correctly,
that motivation still exists; presumably at the first entry into CR
(which is always a CRS).  It seems worthwhile to mention that in 6.1.2.

7. 6.1.2.  There is an immediately following green box which says (among
other things) that after CR, no additional changes are expected without
implementation and testing.  That, and some other points in that box may
not be true with the new CR.  We may want to reswizzle the language.

8. PR.  It seemed awkward to define Proposed Extensible Rec only as the
flavor of PR that shows up before an Extensible Rec, but not talk about
it elsewhere in the document.  I believe the fix is that in the
definition of Extensible REC - rather than saying that for an Extensible
Rec that the team MUST solicit an AC review, we should instead say that
to get to Extensible REC, after the WG decision, that the document
becomes a Proposed Extensible Rec (which would then automatically create
the AC review).  Similarly, I think it would be helpful in 6.7.5, while
discussing how to get to Extensible REC, that text is added that
describes that after the WG decision that the spec moves into the
Proposed Extensible Rec state.  (See related comments below.)

9. PR.  The PR section starts (and this is true in the REC section as
well) that the document has been accepted by the Director.  For
documents that reach REC status without formal Director transition
review (streamline), I wonder if we need to swizzle the language a bit.
In esssence, the REC (and PR) are achieved because of the Director: the
combination of the the W3C Process (approved by the Director), the fact
that there was an initial transition request (approved by the Director),
and the WG revisions (approved by the Director approved process).  But
it is stretching the definition to say that this was actually approved
by the Director.

10. REC.  You've deleted the statement that RF licenses apply to REC.  I
don't see why we should delete that.  It is still true that RF licenses
apply to REC.  Perhaps you deleted it because RF licenses will now ALSO
apply to other specs.  In that case, I would leave the current
statement, but perhaps add a parenthetical "... apply to RECs (as well
as other specs for which xyz is true)."

11. Extensible REC.  I'm not sure that the first three sentences of this
section are helpful.  As I understand it, to advance to REC requires a
Director decision, which is not always the case for Extensible REC
(streamline).  An alternative might be to talk less about the process,
and more about the implications - such as "An Extensible REC is treated
with the same importance and gravity as a REC, even though the process
to approve an Extensible REC is somewhat different."  And of course, it
is good that you point out that an Extensible REC = REC from the pov of
the PP.

12. Extensible REC.  Second paragraph. s/explicitely/explicitly/.

13. Extensible REC.  See point #8 above.

14. Extensible REC.  Last sentence. "same process".  Same as what?  Unclear.

15. 6.2.3.  There is a note that says that Update request approval is
expected to be fairly simple.  That sounds like "marketing".  It would
be more useful to explain WHY it is expected to be fairly simple (e.g.
if we assume that most updates will be relatively targeted rather than
the size of the usual transition to CR).

16. 6.2.3.1.  For Streamline, I have several concerns about some details
of the HRG approach:

  * We have not had much discussion about "the set of criteria" under
    which a review is necessary.  Accordingly, I expect that this might
    reduce to having 5 HRG reviews for each update.
  * 5 HRG reviews for each update seems like a large amount of total
    reviews, unless there are some limitations on the frequency of
    updates.  6.2.3.1 might be a good place for a Note which says that
    it is expected that each spec gets updated at most every 6 months
    (in most cases) to reduce the level of review.
  * For the TAG, I am concerned that they might neither have "a set of
    criteria", nor have the bandwidth for all of these reviews.
    Personally, I would be comfortable if we only required a review of
    an update for 4 HRGs.  I'm hoping that in all cases, the TAG review
    for the original CR suffices.

17. 6.2.7 Contributor License Grants.  I have no intuition why we would
make these changes for ET, but perhaps it is related to some other PP
change.  But in general, we should be careful about making changes that
are not strictly needed for ET.

18. I find some confusion between Sections 6.4, 6.4.1, and 6.4.2.

The general approach of Chapter 6 is to define a maturity level and end
the section with a description of what is next.

Here 6.4 defines CR; but at the end describes what happens after a CRS.

6.4.1 defines CRS, but does not describe what happens next (it is
already listed in 6.4).

6.4.2 is the more conventional defining CRU and what comes next.

At a minimum there is a lack of parallel structure.

19.  6.4.  In the list of next steps after CR (or CRS actually), I
suggest we delete that PR is the expected next step; since often the
next step is a CRU.

20. Charters and CRS.  When I got to 6.4.1/2 I think I finally
understood that all spec can produce CR Updates and snapshots - not only
extensible specs.  But, it is not obvious to me why we need Extensible
RECs to be allowed by the charters, but not CRUs.

21. 6.4.1 requires an "update request" which links to 6.2.3.  It is not
clear that we need this long section (6.2.3).  Why can't we just say
that to publish another CRS we need to meet all requirements of CR;
noting the couple of exceptions (e.g. the possibility of using the
streamline process)?

22. I'm confused about the scope of Section 6.7.4.  It does not seem to
be about Extensible Recommendations.  Which I don't really understand.
I would think that for non Extensible RECs we should not be changing how
we handle substantive changes.

23. For Extensible RECs, I'm not sure why we need two different
sections, 6.7.4 and 6.7.5.  Can't we design a single process to handle
both substantive changes as well as new features?  Indeed, the last
paragraph of 6.7.5 combines them - why not combine them at the outset
and simplify the process?

24. 6.7.5.  Second paragraph.  I don't understand why new features are
not class 4 changes.

25. 6.7.5.  I am confused about Last Call Review.  Here is how I see
it.  When we create the new Spec we need to of course ensure wide review
and HRG review.  Today we simply state the need for review (e.g. at CR)
- without create a specific "Last Call Review" AC review.  So this Last
Call Review does not seem to be the "wide review" equivalent.  Perhaps
this is intended to be the Extensible PR AC review.  But we should just
call it that - the Extensible PR AC review!  Surely we don't need to
send this to the AC twice. This relates to point 8 above.

Jeff