Re: Evergreen Formal Objection handling (ESFO)

>  The whole point of ES is to have one source of truth, not "look here for the current REC, but over here if you want to track current work."

Great one-line summary!  It does take a high-functioning group to pull off a Living Standard / Evergreen Recommendation process, with a lot of trust between the Editor and group, and good alignment with the real-world implementers/site developers.  It is definitely not for those who find the current Rec Track process adding significant value.   But the Evergreen process won’t get used if it is not significantly easier to use than the Rec Track for cohesive communities that don’t need constant assurance that the single source of truth is actually true.

I’m frankly not sure how to handle situations where the cohesive WG’s one source of truth doesn’t align with the larger W3C community’s sense of what truth should look like, e.g. if the TAG has unresolved concerns or there are Privacy, Security, Accessibility, or Internationalization issues that aren’t accepted by the WG.  I’m tempted to say the nuclear option of de-chartering the WG is the way to handle such (hopefully rare) situations.  A less nuclear option would be to replace the chairs or editors … but that could be essentially the same as the nuclear option if the group takes their spec to another organization in protest.