Re: Evergreen Formal Objection handling (ESFO)

> FO is to deal with the extraordinary case that an individual is quite sure that the consensus is wrong and wants to appeal to a higher authority
>  I would like to maintain that in the Evergreen track and the question is to figure out where in Evergreen the Director should get involved.

I very strongly disagree and expect to (ahem) formally object to an Evergreen process that perpetuates the notion that the Director is engaged or expert enough to over-ride a overwhelming preponderance of opinion among technical experts in a WG.  That might have been true in the late 90’s when the Process evolved, it is definitely not true now.

I believe Chris was explaining how WHATWG works, not necessarily advocating the WHATWG working mode be applied wholesale to the ER track.  Still, in practice WGs (and WHATWG workstreams)  generally do a good job of building rough consensus and “appeal to authority” is rare.   I agree with Tzvia that there needs to be some translation from WHATWG-speak to W3C-speak in designing an ER mechanism.  Specifically, it is going to be much easier to get the W3C community to buy-in to the idea that a neutral Chair, not the necessarily opinionated Editor, is the arbiter of WG consensus.

If a WG can’t reach consensus on a technical matter, it should either leave that feature out of the standard until the Real World has given more guidance, or admit defeat and go back to incubation.  Maybe that’s too big a change for the Rec Track  just now, but it’s how I think about Evergreen Recommendations.