Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Review of Process 2020

On 12/3/19 1:08 PM, Michael Champion wrote:

 > To be clear, I’m happy with the processes in the Everteal draft, I just
 > don’t think it is worth trying to semantically distinguish between a
 > “Recommendation that MAY be updated and enhanced in place” and a”
 > Recommendation that MUST NOT be updated or enhanced in place.”
 > The WG+Director+AC can decide on a case by case basis whether to use
 > the Everteal mechanism or go back to WD and create a new version of a
 > Recommendation.

I'm sorry, but I think your clarification is misleading about Process 2020.

Process 2020 does not propose any type of Recommendation that “MUST NOT be
updated and enhanced in place”. *Every* type of Recommendation, whether
Extendable or not, can be updated and enhanced in place in Process 2020.

The only difference is in whether the Recommendation can accept new features.

The two types of P2020 Recommendations are as follows:

Regular Recommendations -
   Can now be updated and enhanced in place, including substantive changes
   and corrections, but cannot accept new features.

Extendable Recommendations -
   Can also be updated and enhanced in place, including addition of new
   features as well as substantive changes and corrections.

Note: Florian explains the rationale for this distinction in
   https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-w3process/2019Dec/0018.html

~fantasai