From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: 5/6/16 8:59 PM (GMT+03:30)
To: Stephen Zilles <szilles@adobe.com>
Cc: public-w3process@w3.org, Daniel Appelquist <appelquist@gmail.com>, Peter Linss <peter.linss@hp.com>
Subject: Re: Obsoleting a Recommendation, round four

> On May 6, 2016, at 7:49 , Stephen Zilles <szilles@adobe.com> wrote:
>
> We still have pending how the TAG ‘announces to the other groups’ that they are considering this.  AC (not technical).  In their agenda (who reads it?). Chairs list (relies on the chairs forwarding to relevant groups)?  I tend to think both of the last two: put it in their agenda and notify the chairs.  Actually, thinking about it, maybe the TAG agenda should always go to the chairs?
>
> SZ: I think requiring the chairs to read an agenda to find out anything is a bad idea. There should be an announcement of the "Proposal to Obsolete a Recommendation" that includes the REC name in the subject line to the Public Announcement list that the AB had created and to the chairs list. That allows the reader to quickly tell whether to open the message or not.

I don’t want to be overly prescriptive in the process document, or we’ll be revising it to tune to practice.
SZ: I agree with this principle.

Perhaps from a formal process point of view, we simply state that the TAG needs to inform the W3C community that they will discuss this, and when, and leave it up to evolving practice?

so, how about we say:

The TAG MUST announce its intent to consider the
SZ: c/intent to consider/receipt of a/
Request to Obsolete the Recommendation to the W3C community and to the public, and SHOULD consult with
SZ: is "W3C Commumity" defined in the Process Document? I thought the requirement that I originally copied said "Working Groups" which is defined and relevant. But, should "Community Groups" also be notified. Maybe we should define "W3C Community" to be the groups we think should be notified.

any pertinent working groups, especially the Working Group that developed the Recommendation, if it exists, or any obvious successor WG. The TAG MUST make the decision to proceed, by formal decision of the TAG.

SZ: How about replacing the last sentence with, "If the TAG makes a decision, it MUST do so using its formal decision process."

Should that last ‘MUST” be a SHOULD, now we have two other alternatives (5% of the AC, or timeout of the TAG)?

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.