Re: Obsoleting a Recommendation, round four

On 2016-05-06 07:49, Stephen Zilles wrote:

> Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

I think that's what we should always do.  If everyone says yes and the
director says yes, it's pretty unlikely that 5% would agree to appeal -
so we don't need to specifically ban that.

The perverse case can happen if everyone says yes, someone makes a
comment that is not a formal objection, and the Director changes what is
to be done -- like alters a Charter - and then says yes to that version
no one had seen.  That doesn't apply to obsoleting a spec but does to
things like Charter approvals.  So, I think we should remove the
restrictions on when appeals can happen everywhere.  But, that isn't
this topic :)

> [...]
> longer in alignment with best practices in the industry. There may be
> alternative technologies better aligned with other parts of the Web
> Platform, or more in line with best practices. There may be technical
> drawbacks or even flaws associated with the Recommendation, but not so
> serious as to cause it to be Rescinded.
>
> The W3C marks these as Obsolete to give guidance to the industry that
> new implementation is not sought or expected.
>

> 2) A new section of the Process Document, 6.X (6.10 if existing
> sections are not re-numbered, but it probably belongs before rescinded
> in logical order).
>
> 6.X Obsoleting a Recommendation
>
> Anyone may request of the TAG that a Recommendation be considered for
> Obsoletion. The request to the TAG MUST identify the Recommendation
> and give reasons why it should be considered Obsolete; for example,
> that the Recommendation has not been implemented, and no new
> implementations are expected; that there are better alternative
> specifications; that the Recommendation in question is not in
> alignment with best design practices, and so on.
>
> The TAG MUST announce its intent to consider the Request to Obsolete
> the Recommendation [[to other W3C groups]] and to the public and
> SHOULD consult with any pertinent working groups, especially the
> Working Group that developed the Recommendation, if it exists, or any
> obvious successor WG. The TAG MUST make the decision to proceed, by
> formal decision of the TAG.
>
> The proposal to obsolete a Recommendation follows the process for a
> Proposed Edited Recommendation as defined in 6.7.2 and 6.5 for changes
> to a Recommendation that are Editorial only. The proposal is placed
> before the AC as a ballot if any of the following occur:
> a) The TAG decides to proceed;
> b) The TAG decides not to proceed, but 5% of the Advisory Committee
> file a request for the ballot;
> c) The TAG makes no decision within 90 days of the receipt of the
> request; anyone (e.g. the initiator) may then request that the AC
> ballot proceed.
>
> If there is dissent in the Advisory Committee (votes against, or
> formal objections) the usual process to find consensus will be
> followed. Objections SHOULD include evidence that the proposal is
> flawed; for example, that the Recommendation is widely implemented, or
> it is reasonably expected that it will soon be widely implemented.
>
> Considering the advice of the Advisory Committee, the Director
> approves or denies the decision to obsolete. The Advisory Committee
> may appeal the Director’s decision.
>
> An obsoleted Recommendation is marked as such (a) in the document
> itself and (b) on the TR page. The status ‘Obsoleted’ links to a
> standing page which explains the meaning of the term. If there are
> obvious alternative technologies, they should be documented in a note
> beside the Obsolete declaration in the document itself.

looks good