Re: Obsoleting a Recommendation, round two

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 11:45 AM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

>> On Apr 27, 2016, at 20:48 , timeless <timeless@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is it reasonable to reach out to the authors of the REC? (as distinct
>> from the WG)
>
> Editors?  Maybe, maybe not.
> That’s why I am trying to find a group that
> (a) has some (ostensible) technical understanding and

I'd hope that the REC authors/editors could help on this point. They
might lend some gravitas to "yeah, this should be retired".

> (b) can be reasonably expected to work out who should be contacted.

I'm not opposed to TAG coordinating (although it seems like some
people are pushing back on that).

And I'm certainly not suggesting that the editors/authors be
responsible for managing the process.

> I can’t think of any other standing group than the TAG who could plausibly work this out.

Short of creating another group, you're probably correct.

> The aim here is to avoid an AC vote on something for which a reasonable chunk of the community will disagree;
> I don’t want anyone being able to trigger a full formal AC vote without some sort of small-group sanity filter.

These are reasonable goals.