Re: WICG Incubation vs CSSWG Process

Jeff wrote:
>    Well stated.  Thank you.

Yes, thanks for the very detailed explanation!

 A couple of points:

> You're right that this is "enforced" mostly as a cultural norm,
> whereas CGs have something more up-front. But that's a legal
> side-effect of how the W3C has set things up, and not, imho, a
> a fundamental consideration of process. If it's an issue, W3C
> should address it for all WGs, as it's not specific to CSS.

Yes, IMHO we should address the lack of patent promises in WGs for work that doesn’t get to FWPD and binding commitments for work that doesn’t get to Recommendation.  That, however, might require revising the Patent Policy, which very few people have much interest in.  It also might be possible to do this via the Process Document, I’m not sure, but it’s worth discussing with attorneys exactly what room to maneuver we have here.

> Also, IIRC the CG participants make patent commitments for
> themselves individually, so patents owned by their organization
> (which is most of the ones you're concerned about, I imagine)
> wouldn't be covered through the CG process anyway.

The summary https://www.w3.org/community/about/agreements/summary/  says “The policies encourage organizational licensing commitments (rather than individual licensing commitments) which provides more safety to implementers.” I’m not sure where this is made explicit in the CLA or the W3C policies that require W3C members joining a CG to have their AC rep make an organizational commitment.

That said, this discussion has made it clearer to me why many in the CSS WG are resisting proposals to incubate CSS proposals in WICG.   If incubating the next generation of CSS specs in WICG is a non-starter to participants, I would like to see some discussion about how tweak the W3C to ensure that proposals have some legally binding patent promises – as opposed to a just a cultural norm – at least from those making them.  There might be a way to do this within the current W3C process and patent policy, or it might be something we can address in the next revision of the process.

Likewise it would be good to figure out how the W3C WG process or the CSS culture could be tweaked to ensure that the w3.org/TR page doesn’t remain littered with supposed Rec-track specs that aren’t going anywhere because proponents lost interest, don’t solve a real world problem, or nobody plans to implement them.  That’s one of the problems WICG was intended to solve, by not putting specs on the Rec track until they had sustained interest, demonstrably solved a real problem, and had implementer buy in.  There’s surely other ways to solve that problem besides insisting on incubation in WICG, so let’s discuss.