Re: New Draft

> On Aug 2, 2016, at 9:18 , Chaals McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
>
> As I read it with my editors' hat on:
>
> The AB determined that this should be removed, as I was notified by the chair.
>
> Since it is the AB's document, it is perfectly reasonable for them to direct the editor to make change.
>
> Comments, and especially proposed changes, that are not sent to the community group cause confusion.
>
> I agree with the rationale as I understood it:
> 1. it makes little sense to make statements of the form "there are things outside the process, and this rule applies to them" - if we need to address a particular issue, the process needs to be clear about what it is
> 2. Given the structure of W3C, if a group of members such as would be required to support an appeal actually object about *anything* we can expect a robust discussion.

I agree, particularly with point (2).

Look at it this way.  If a group of AC Reps comes to the AC, and Director, and says “we strongly object to <this decision>, and we number more than 5% of the AC — i.e. we exceed the threshold for a formal appeal under the process — and we request that the entire AC be asked their opinion on this question”, I think it’s highly unlikely that the answer would be “run away, that’s not a formally appealable decision under the process”, but more likely “ah, we’d better have a frank and honest exchange of views in the AC”.

So, I think the process needs to be clear about when decisions *in the process* have exhausted appeal possibilities, but it does NOT need to be exhaustive about what can be appealed.

> cheers
>
> Chaals
>
> On Tue, 02 Aug 2016 15:20:43 +0200, Stephen Zilles <szilles@adobe.com> wrote:
>

> Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Dave Singer

singer@mac.com